Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just but an 89 rc, for 500 so what do expect? Anywho I bought it as a project but its my first so I know nothing hence the name. Anywho, the engine will start up but if u drive it a little and then let's say come to a stop light it dies. Sometimes it starts right back up sometimes I'm not so lucky. Any thoughts? Thanks for helping the village idiot.

G

·
First, eliminate the obvious. A good basic tune up. Then re-evaluate. You might need to, "ahem", replace an O2 sensor or something. Could be fuel delivery or something else. Gonna have to whittle away til you have a solid baseline to work with. Like previous post said, more info.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
X2

A good tune up is mandatory before diagnosis on problems like that can take place.

Replace plugs, ignition wires, cap + finger, air cleaner, fuel filter and while you're at it, the engine + transmission oil and filter.

Then check connections to coil, distributor, ignition module, ballast resistor, ignition switch and bulkhead connectors for damaged, rotten or loose wires. Best done, while the engine is running to see if it cuts out when you move one of the aforementioned connectors or wires.

If it still cuts out, please tell us what engine your truck has, if it's still stock or modified (in case: what mods) and when exactly stuff happens.

Hope that helps :D

G

·
kingcrunch said:
X2

A good tune up is mandatory before diagnosis on problems like that can take place.

Replace plugs, ignition wires, cap + finger, air cleaner, fuel filter and while you're at it, the engine + transmission oil and filter.

Then check connections to coil, distributor, ignition module, ballast resistor, ignition switch and bulkhead connectors for damaged, rotten or loose wires. Best done, while the engine is running to see if it cuts out when you move one of the aforementioned connectors or wires.

If it still cuts out, please tell us what engine your truck has, if it's still stock or modified (in case: what mods) and when exactly stuff happens.

Hope that helps :D
X3 cause the engine needs these to run:

timing
ignition
fuel/air
compression

and if it runs period then you know you have compression and timing

but when it is more common for the engine to die from loss of ignition, or lack of fuel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 318 CI (ew) I think I should just suck it up and put a 360 in it but they're getting hard to find. Thank you for all your help. I'm a severe novice at this. My dad always wanted to "refurbish" an old truck and I feel the need to do that for him. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
You should try the little maintenance things beforehand. 360s are only a little hard to find, they're still out there though. You could even have one under your hood now.

This one shouldn't ever have this problem. There's something wrong unless it was converted from TBI. (many cheap vehicles have all sorts of hokey maintenance done by people who really know what they are doing)

Take some pictures of it and post them here and the people on here should be able to help.

G

·
know_nothing said:
I got some pictures. Sorry they're not great, I did my best....

on the bottom of the engine block, like kinda where the freeze plugs are, there will be a casting number that should tell if its a 318 or 360

1 - 9 of 9 Posts