Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Trail Duster into the shop today to identify a clicking noise coming from my driver side wheel well. (previously, the axle u-joints were replaced and we thought this would stop the noise). Unfortunately, the TD doesn't want to cooperate and didn't make the clicking noise when the tech drove it. Instead, he heard some very noticeable pinging from the engine when he really got on it (don't worry, I told em to do what it takes to get that clicking noise).

It's probably from using 89 octane fuel when it really wants 92. No problem. Will use 92 for a while and see if it helps. May even use some octane boost if that's not enough.

One thing the rep told me was that the vacuum advance to my distributor was not hooked up so I'm not getting any timing advance at high speeds. It probably explains my lack of giddy-up on the highway. It also appears that most of the vacuum control lines are missing along with a lot of emmissions stuff.

He recommends I get some bulk tubing and start plugging vacuum lines in to get my power back.

FIRST: Where does the vacuum hose that connects to my distributor go to?

Next, does anybody have a vacuum diagram so I can do this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I wouldn't think that you would need to run 92 octane in your TD, even if it is pinging, unless you have a very high compression motor, which it ain't if its stock.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dodge 85 RC said:
I wouldn't think that you would need to run 92 octane in your TD, even if it is pinging, unless you have a very high compression motor, which it ain't if its stock.
I know that a little pinging is to be expected on hard acceleration or uphill with lower compression engines, especially 25 year old 360s with 2bbl carbs on em.

Hell, even our new Saturn owner's manual says some pigning may be expected at times and it's normal.

Maybe the mechanic's idea of pinging and mine are different? No matter. I'm going to use the TD as my guinea pig when I'm in college for diesel mechanics. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your profile says that you have a 2 barrel sitting on top of that 360. Is it a Carter or Holley carb?

Also, what is your VIN? Midway through the production year, Dodge started using a 1980 type Carter carb on the 79's.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well dude i think i have the vacuum diagram for your truck but i would have to look and see. also i have some vac line at home tahts brand new. if its clickin from the wheelwell area have teh hubs looked at never can tell. does it do it after you leave from home or anytime???

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
joe swinehart said:
and an interesting thing to note is some dodge owner manuals state running fuel with more than 87 octane can cause pinging.
I can tell you that using 87 octane will make it ping worse and the power goes through the floor.

As for the carb, I haven't really looked at it. I'll check it out and see who made it when I get it back. Same for the vin. ;)

The clicking can't be from the hubs, can they? When you replace axle u-joints, don't you unpack/repack the bearings anyway? The shop told me they're fine...in fact, other than the rotors needing to be turned, everything down there is in good shape and the TD is safe.

How much for new rotors, btw?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
if your gonna do rotors you might as well do the hubs too.... when i found em the rotors themselves werer $10 LESS than the hub\rotor combo. let me find my printout and i'll email the prices to you from napa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts