Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Dodge Ram Royale Se D150 5.2L longbed
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not a transmission guy and I know I may be bring this out of the grave but I can’t seem to find it searching anything that matches my predicament.
So here goes 1986 Dodge Ram royale se d150 5.2L 727 trans longbed.
This was my project truck which was cut short and became daily driver for a short lived time,now it’s yard art.

Started off great ran fine minus the tranny leak but topped fluid off every commute before and after and all was well as well could be.Then it all went down from there had to replace battery and alternator. Then Suddenly it started over heating but not to the point of blowing cap or even all the way to the H ,.come to find out it was a blown heater hose. Bought about 8 feet of hose and new clamps and fixed and replaced them all and did an oil change. Continued to battle overheating for a few weeks did a coolant flush followed by a thermostat replacement still overheating on long drives followed with another flush freeing up some debris but still wanting to over heat after 1hr hwy drives, until the last commute about a mile from home turned the corner and went through 1st gear but then never shifted to 2 but continued to rev like in neutral. Coasted to the stop sign put in park and then back into drive and again went through first but decided it wasn’t goin to 2nd again so I put in neutral and coasted few hundred feet From home. Put it in park and shut her off. Started up the beast and shifted into drive and this time I limped home in 1st keeping Rpm and speed down avoiding the shift. Parked and checked fluids no more than maybe a 1/4 quart low on trans fluid and still wanting to over heat. Let her cool down and went back out a few hours later to access the situation and fired her up again shifted into reverse with a hard clunk as you feel the rearend drop into place followed by and sound resembling like a bearing that’s shot then all gears disappeared when going through them with the shifter. Turned ignition of then restarted and went past rev to drive and again with a Clunk it was in gear drove down the road but soon a the shift came all gears disappeared and back with the bearing sound (fluid was topped off earlier) turned ignition off and the back on after 15 seconds or so then limped back back with the bearing sound. Next day everything nice and cool trans fluid still appropriate level started up and idled and had all gears no shot bearing squealing kinda sound….for about 5 min then the bearing sound starts faint and slowly got louder until poof all gears gone. The only way to get any gears is to turn it off and wait about 5-10 seconds then restart the motor and put it in gear before the sound comes back once it does all gears are gone again. I’m at a loss but not giving up on this 727 with it working at first start I think it’s tellin me it still has life. Not sure if this one has bands yet probably does just got new filter and gasket gonna drop the pan and see what’s in the pan and check the band adjustment. Hoping it’s possibly something not to expensive cant really afford a rebuilt tranny but I’m very good with tools and my hands I’ve done a good share of mechanical work on vehicles but never dove off into the transmission. If a rebuild kit is needed I’m not afraid of jumping off into it but would rather not have to if not needed. Any opinions,thought’s concerns will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
checking fluid in neutral? , otherwise you need a trans

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
If an automatic transmission is low on fluid to the point of it getting hot, it could also raise the temperature of the cooling system & be reflected at the gauge. Likewise too hot of a cooling system will affect the trans temperature as well if the integrated cooler is still being used.

Once an automatic has gotten too hot it may never act the same, may not function at all. Just depends on how hot, how dry & for how long.

I would guess your 727 needs to be rebuilt.

Bucky

Reactions: Manillagorilla

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If an automatic transmission is low on fluid to the point of it getting hot, it could also raise the temperature of the cooling system & be reflected at the gauge. Likewise too hot of a cooling system will affect the trans temperature as well if the integrated cooler is still being used.

Once an automatic has gotten too hot it may never act the same, may not function at all. Just depends on how hot, how dry & for how long.

I would guess your 727 needs to be rebuilt.

Bucky
I was thinking along those lines of the trans cooler /radiator partnership. I’m pulling the pan in a few hours to diagnose what’s on the other side I’ll be posting results and my findings. Thanks Bucky

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Heat, lack of fluid & exposure to water are some of the things that kill automatics.

Yours seems to somewhat function when cold then lose propulsion once warm, plus the noise begins.

Is this your only vehicle? If not your possibly easiest cheapest route is to pull it yourself, take it to have rebuilt, then reinstall yourself. Although some shops will only warranty if they do the installion.

You can do it yourself, 727 aren't that difficult but you have to have certain tools & clean bench to do it on, not bad to invest in these items if you plan on doing more rebuilds on other automatics in the future.

Bucky

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
If you do go for a rebuild shop.. ask around for the most honest guy around. If you have the skills... definitely pull it yourself. You'll save a ton of money. If you go the rebuild it yourself way... I've got supposedly one of the best Torqueflite rebuild books out there. Chrysler TorqueFlite A-904 & A-727 Transmissions: How to Rebuild (Workbench How-to): Hand, Tom: 9781613253359: Amazon.com: Books It's pretty much brand new.
And since I don't have any 727's anymore... I'll send it to you for free. Somebody might as well use it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brown Automotive lighting Rectangle Wood Gas
Brown Product Rectangle Wood Grey
Brown Wood Automotive tire Tire World
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Silver
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Atmosphere Window Road surface Asphalt Astronomical object
Brown Hood Automotive lighting Wood Bumper
Brown Automotive lighting Rectangle Wood Gas
Brown Product Rectangle Wood Grey
Brown Wood Automotive tire Tire World
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Silver
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Atmosphere Window Road surface Asphalt Astronomical object
I’m not a transmission guy and I know I may be bring this out of the grave but I can’t seem to find it searching anything that matches my predicament.
So here goes 1986 Dodge Ram royale se d150 5.2L 727 trans longbed.
This was my project truck which was cut short and became daily driver for a short lived time,now it’s yard art.

Started off great ran fine minus the tranny leak but topped fluid off every commute before and after and all was well as well could be.Then it all went down from there had to replace battery and alternator. Then Suddenly it started over heating but not to the point of blowing cap or even all the way to the H ,.come to find out it was a blown heater hose. Bought about 8 feet of hose and new clamps and fixed and replaced them all and did an oil change. Continued to battle overheating for a few weeks did a coolant flush followed by a thermostat replacement still overheating on long drives followed with another flush freeing up some debris but still wanting to over heat after 1hr hwy drives, until the last commute about a mile from home turned the corner and went through 1st gear but then never shifted to 2 but continued to rev like in neutral. Coasted to the stop sign put in park and then back into drive and again went through first but decided it wasn’t goin to 2nd again so I put in neutral and coasted few hundred feet From home. Put it in park and shut her off. Started up the beast and shifted into drive and this time I limped home in 1st keeping Rpm and speed down avoiding the shift. Parked and checked fluids no more than maybe a 1/4 quart low on trans fluid and still wanting to over heat. Let her cool down and went back out a few hours later to access the situation and fired her up again shifted into reverse with a hard clunk as you feel the rearend drop into place followed by and sound resembling like a bearing that’s shot then all gears disappeared when going through them with the shifter. Turned ignition of then restarted and went past rev to drive and again with a Clunk it was in gear drove down the road but soon a the shift came all gears disappeared and back with the bearing sound (fluid was topped off earlier) turned ignition off and the back on after 15 seconds or so then limped back back with the bearing sound. Next day everything nice and cool trans fluid still appropriate level started up and idled and had all gears no shot bearing squealing kinda sound….for about 5 min then the bearing sound starts faint and slowly got louder until poof all gears gone. The only way to get any gears is to turn it off and wait about 5-10 seconds then restart the motor and put it in gear before the sound comes back once it does all gears are gone again. I’m at a loss but not giving up on this 727 with it working at first start I think it’s tellin me it still has life. Not sure if this one has bands yet probably does just got new filter and gasket gonna drop the pan and see what’s in the pan and check the band adjustment. Hoping it’s possibly something not to expensive cant really afford a rebuilt tranny but I’m very good with tools and my hands I’ve done a good share of mechanical work on vehicles but never dove off into the transmission. If a rebuild kit is needed I’m not afraid of jumping off into it but would rather not have to if not needed. Any opinions,thought’s concerns will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Your clutch packs are gone. You need a new traansmission. New fluid and band adjustment wont fix that

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta
1 - 10 of 10 Posts