Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with the DVD tray on my Xbox(original).Ive taken it all apart(oh no I voided the non existent warranty!!!).Anyway for what ever reason the tray will open and close perfectly with the top cover of the DVD drive off.However,as soon as the cover is put back on no joy.With the cover on it will just make thumping noises as it tries to open the tray.If the tray is open then you put the cover on it,then close the tray it will make a latching sound as if something is getting jambed. That top cover has a little plastic thing that locates the disk and it has to be there other wise the disk will eventually jump off the hub.Ive tried realigning the tray,cleaning the belt and pulleys but still no joy.Any ideas how to fix this?Im not buying a new DVD drive.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Sounds like the Casing/Housing on the DVD drive might be bent or somehow damaged, and with the Top off the drive it's ok, but when you install the top it sounds like it's distorting the casing, causing it to bind up inside.

That being said, the DVD Drive in the original Xbox was pretty crappy to begin with.  My cousin had 2 of em that died, the last one he had me "fix" about a year ago.  He didnt want to spend any money, so i Mounted a DVD Drive out of a Computer to the top of the Xbox, ran the IDE Cable & Molex Connector through the back of the Xbox.

I can't remember, But i THINK i had to leave the original DVD Drive connected (Power Only) and had to use the Eject Button on the Xbox everytime a disc was inserted to get the Xbox to recognize that the Tray on the External DVD Drive had been Opened/Closed.

Yes it was alot of work for that old Xbox, if it had been mine i would have got on Ebay and bought another Xbox DVD Drive for it.  But he wanted the job done for free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.