Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One voltage regulator lasted a month.  It didn't withstand a simple surge when my accidently grounded a wire for a second.  then two bad replacements in a row, right out of the box.  I thought I had fried something else, was racking my brains trying to figure it out.  but everything else tested right and I got current with a full field.

During this time I'm looking at prices.  They have shot up tremendously.  An Echlin brand Chinese v-reg at Napa is running $39???  and now that's I'm cruising around them, the instrument panel voltage regulator is running $55 at Summit?  I bought one 3 years ago for $8.99.

ANyway, just needed to vent a little.  Luckily, all is well with my charging system now.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
I agree the price of Chinese junk is getting out of hand. It's time for a US company to start making parts again.  ;D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Yep, Doc...the prices on the Echlin line (hell, all of 'em for that matter) have really taken a jump in the last 6 months.  I hate to say it, but I'm selling a lot more parts out of the "basic" lines these days.  I know the parts won't last nearly as long, and I make sure the customer knows that, but I also understand that they need to get their vehicles back on the road for as little as possible.  :'(

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
mopar65pa said:
I agree the price of Chinese junk is getting out of hand. It's time for a US company to start making parts again. ;D
I'm All for That ;D One Small Step for the USA, One Giant Leap for Dodge Parts :p

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
ChrisKD said:
I'm All for That ;D One Small Step for the USA, One Giant Leap for Dodge Parts :p
{cool}

·
29,538 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
One voltage regulator lasted a month. It didn't withstand a simple surge when my accidently grounded a wire for a second. then two bad replacements in a row, right out of the box. I thought I had fried something else, was racking my brains trying to figure it out. but everything else tested right and I got current with a full field.
Well, when we have unexplainable bad luck or strange ju-ju happen at work, we just chalk it up to being built on an Indian burial ground (we really aren't btw). Do you live on an Indian burial ground Doc?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think that the whole past "Murphy" clan is planted on my property

·
Registered
423 Posts
yup more american parts!! bad part is if they are out there most parts stores dont carry them,what do you do pay 60 xtra bucks to have them overnight ???what if its the weekend and you got to drive it to work on monday,god forbid its a wheel bearing for full time 4wd :'(

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
"assembled in america" may make for patriotic drum beating, but may not do much for quality when it is assembled out of chinese semi conductors and chinese metal made from cash for clunkers turn-ins. ;)

There is a transpo voltage regulator listed in the pn section. If you cannot access that, it is C8313 search Have seen it listed for ~$20.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
"assembled in america" may make for patriotic drum beating, but may not do much for quality when it is assembled out of chinese semi conductors and chinese metal made from cash for clunkers turn-ins. ;)

There is a transpo voltage regulator listed in the pn section. If you cannot access that, it is C8313 search Have seen it listed for ~$20.
{cool}

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
other than a lower price, anything significant about that regulator?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
That is the adjustable version, allowing you to dial in your own set point, for exampole 13.2 or 14.8 or something in between. Other than that, transpo is typically known in the rebuilder circles as being a reputable company. Origin is likely china as well.

I did look into a filter-capacitor/zener/choke or similar scheme that might act as a "surge protector" since that is what allegedly kills them.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
That is the adjustable version, allowing you to dial in your own set point, for exampole 13.2 or 14.8 or something in between. Other than that, transpo is typically known in the rebuilder circles as being a reputable company. Origin is likely china as well.

I did look into a filter-capacitor/zener/choke or similar scheme that might act as a "surge protector" since that is what allegedly kills them.
Sounds kinda like the old Regulators used on the >1960's Cars/Trucks, the ones you could pop the cover off and adjust.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Essentially. The old ones had mechanical points and associated gap, like an ignition system. They also produce some nasty transient spikes and noise since you are flipping a light switch on and off several times per second. The new ones are like electronic ignition and use transistorized switch that doesn't move or produce as much noise and spikes. That transpo could almost be a hybrid of the 2. I imagine it is just a trim pot to dial in more or less resistance, just like resistance on the blue wire causes increased voltage sometimes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts