Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try this one out... I went to pick up a K&N for my '89 today. I looked in the book, and came up with E-1100. So that's what I bought. It looked right, so I didn't think anything of it. Well, I walked outside to put it in, and I realized that it was too small. ??? The only thing I could think of was that it was the wrong one in the box. So I went back in and changed it for another one, which turned out to be the same size. Now I was starting to get mad. I looked up the Purolator number, 40004, and compared it to the K&N, and IT was the same size. The filter that was in the truck originally was a Fram CA351. The Fram number listed for the truck is CA160. Totally baffled, I started skimming through the listings looking for CA351, and I found it - It's listed for a '90 Crown Victoria 5.8!! I know for a fact that it's NOT a ford engine, and the air cleaner housing has the Pentastar logo and part numbers on it, so what gives?? It's the black plastic housing with 6 spring clips around the outside and a big plastic nut in the middle. (Kind of looks like the Plutonium chamber on the DeLorean in Back to the Future.)

On an unrelated matter, my computer is giving me codes 23 (Air temp sensor out of range) and 47 (Alternator output too low) Both of these are supposed to turn on the Check Engine light, but it isn't on (It's not burned out, because it flashed out the codes). Any idea why it isn't on?

Matt {peace}

·
7,995 Posts
E-1290 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Air Filter
Height: 2.75 in (70 mm)
Inside Diameter: 9 in (229 mm)
Outside Diameter: 11 in (279 mm)
Top Style: Open
Top Material/Finish: None
Weight: 1.7 lb (0.8 kg)
Product Box Length: 12.25 in (311 mm)
Product Box Width: 12.25 in (311 mm)
Product Box Height: 3.63 in (92 mm)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool.. Was that one used just in 88 (and I guess early 89)? Only thing that sucks is the 1290 is more expensive and no one has it in stock by me. O well. Anyone on the computer issues? According to Haynes the air temp sensor is only on MPFI models, but I never had that code before. What would trigger it?

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
Anyone on the computer issues? According to Haynes the air temp sensor is only on MPFI models, but I never had that code before. What would trigger it?

Matt {peace}
Either code 23 or 47 should set the check engine light. Haynes is wrong- it's not the air temp sensor, it's the throttle body temperature sensor.

Fault Code 23-TBI
Synopsis
Notes: For throttle body injected (N/A) models only
Description: Throttle body temperature sensor signal out of range
Power loss light: On
Limp-in mode: Throttle body temperature of 70^F is assumed

Possible Causes
Throttle body temperature sensor failure - The sensor should measure 9,120 ohms to 10,880 ohms at 77^F. This sensor is located on the side of the throttle body, below the throttle plate.
Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections between the sensor and the logic module (or SMEC). Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with dielectric grease.

Diagnostic Method
Trigger Parameters
- Sensor output less than 0.06V or greater than 4.98V
Results If Component Fails
Fault code 23 is stored, the power loss light is turned on, and the logic module will enter limp-in mode, assuming a throttle body temperature of 70^F.

·
7,995 Posts
CODE 23--T/B TEMP VOLTAGE LOW or HIGH --Throttle body temperature input below minimum acceptable voltage. Throttle body temperature input above maximum acceptable voltage.
Bad Sensor, connector/wiring, bad computer.

CODE 47--BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW --Battery voltage sense below target charging voltage during engine operation.
Loose belt/s, bad alternator, voltage regulator, bad computer, wiring, battery, abnormal power drain from accessories. VR may be in the computer?

I would fix the charging circuit failure(Code 47), first before working on the Code 23.

www.ajusa.com lists the E-1290 for $ $33.61 plus Free shipping..

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks, that's good to know.. I'm pretty sure the charging problem is from the rust on the alt terminals, so that's covered.. Now that I know I HAVE temp sensor, I'll check that out too :) . I'm still puzzled as to why the Check Engine light is'nt on with 2 codes that should set it............

Matt {peace}

·
7,995 Posts
One of the things I find is that many of the service manuals(Haynes) do not tell the whole story or give a "generic" view of the subject they are talking about. Try an Alldata subscription. I usually have at least 3 different service manuals for the vehicles I actually drive, just to compare data. Also there are differences between cars, trucks, and California models as to whether the CEL will come on. All the computers are different. I would not expect Code 23 to set a CEL as the TBI temp sensor is really only used during hot starts...Code 47 maybe yes or no. The chart below indicates neither code deserves a CEL on. Notice which codes have the asteriks.

Trouble Code Descriptions

Fault messages and their indications are as follows:
CODE 11--IGNITION REFERENCE SIGNAL --No distributor reference signal detected during engine cranking.
CODE 12 --Number of key-ons since last fault or since faults were erased--Direct battery input to SMEC was disconnected within last 50-100 ignition key-ons.
CODE 13**--MAP PNEUMATIC SIGNAL or CHANGE --No variation in MAP sensor signal is detected during engine running. No difference is recognized between engine run MAP reading and the stored barometric pressure reading.
CODE 14**--MAP VOLTAGE TOO LOW or HIGH --MAP sensor input below minimum acceptable voltage. MAP sensor input above maximum acceptable voltage.
CODE 15*--VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL --No distance sensor signal detected during road load conditions.
CODE 16**--BATTERY INPUT SENSE --Battery voltage sense input not detected during engine running.
CODE 17--LOW ENGINE TEMP --Engine coolant temperature remains below normal operating temperatures during vehicle operation (thermostat).
CODE 21*--OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL --Neither rich or lean condition is detected from oxygen sensor input.
CODE 22**--COOLANT VOLTAGE LOW or HIGH --Coolant temperature input below the minimum acceptable voltage. Coolant temperature input above the maximum acceptable range.
CODE 23--T/B TEMP VOLTAGE LOW or HIGH --Throttle body temperature input below minimum acceptable voltage. Throttle body temperature input above maximum acceptable voltage.
CODE 24**--TPS VOLTAGE LOW or HIGH --Throttle position sensor output below minimum acceptable voltage. Throttle position sensor output above maximum acceptable voltage.
CODE 25*--AIS MOTOR CIRCUITS --A shorted condition detected in one or more of the AIS control circuits.
CODE 26--INJ 1 PEAK CURRENT --High resistance detected in the injector 1 bank circuit.
CODE 27--INJ 1 CONTROL CKT --Injector 1 output driver does not respond properly to control signal.
CODE 31*--PURGE SOLENOID CKT --An open or shorted condition detected in purge solenoid circuit.
CODE 32*--EGR SOLENOID CIRCUIT or EGR SYSTEM FAILURE --Open or shorted condition detected in EGR solenoid circuit (California only). Required change in air/fuel ratio not detected during diagnostic test. (California only).
CODE 33--A/C CLUTCH RELAY CKT --Open or shorted condition detected in air conditioning clutch relay circuit.
CODE 34--S/C SERVO SOLENOIDS --Open or shorted condition detected in the speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits.
CODE 35--IDLE SWITCH SHORTED or OPENED --Idle contact switch input circuit shorted to ground or opened.
CODE 36--AIR SWITCH SOLENOID --An open or shorted condition detected in the air switching solenoid circuit.
CODE 37--PTU SOLENOID CIRCUIT --Open or shorted condition detected in torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid.
CODE 41--CHARGING SYSTEM CKT --Output driver for alternator field does not respond properly to the voltage regulator control signal.
CODE 42--ASD RELAY CIRCUIT or Z1 VOLTAGE SENSE --Open or shorted auto shutdown relay circuit. No Z1 voltage sensed when the auto shutdown relay is energized.
CODE 43--IGNITION CONTROL CKT --Output driver for ignition coil does not respond properly to the dwell control signal.
CODE 44--FJ2 VOLTAGE SENSE --No Fused J2 voltage present at the logic board during SMEC operation.
CODE 45--OVERDRIVE SOLENOID --An open or shorted condition detected in the overdrive solenoid circuit. (Automatic transmission only).
CODE 46*--BATTERY VOLTAGE HIGH --Battery voltage sense above target charging voltage during engine operation.
CODE 47--BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW --Battery voltage sense below target charging voltage during engine operation.
CODE 51*--AIR FUEL AT LIMIT --Oxygen sensor signal indicates lean air/fuel ratio condition during engine operation. Refer to Driveability Charts- Checking Sensor Calibrations.
CODE 52*--AIR FUEL AT LIMIT or EXCESSIVE LEANING --Oxygen sensor input indicates rich air/fuel ratio condition during engine operation. Adaptive fuel value leaned excessively due to a sustained rich condition. Refer to Driveability Charts- Checking Sensor Calibrations.
CODE 53--INTERNAL SELF TEST --Internal SMEC fault condition detected.
CODE 55 --Completion of fault code display by check engine light.
CODE 62--EMR MILEAGE ACCUM --Unsuccessful attempt to update emission maintenance reminder mileage in the SMEC EEPROM.
CODE 63--EEPROM WRITE DENIED --Unsuccessful attempt to write to an EEPROM location by the SMEC.
FAULT CODE ERROR --An unrecognized fault identification receive by the readout box.

* = Check Engine Lamp On (California Only).
** = Check Engine Lamp On.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.