Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well would you ...i assume they have a long gaurentee ..
...but i really dont want to change wires every couple months .
....what is everyones opion .. :)

·
7,995 Posts
I think they have changed brands but the couple of sets I tried out when their store first opened here were a pain in the butt. They fit ok but the terminals inside the boots that snap on to the spark plug, snapped on so tight that you couldnt get them off without messing up the wire or the boot. I have since gone back to NAPA Belden wires or the original Mopar wires or restoration set for my 440. Most places now offer lifetime warranties on their wires.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
They sell 3 kinds- cheap, their lifetime, and Bosch lifetime... They're all 7mm wires, I would drop the extra bucks and get the 8.5mm MSD's and Platinum +4 plugs.

Matt {peace}

·
7,995 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
They sell 3 kinds- cheap, their lifetime, and Bosch lifetime... They're all 7mm wires, I would drop the extra bucks and get the 8.5mm MSD's and Platinum +4 plugs.

Matt {peace}
Yeah, I had their lifetime ones and they sucked. They didnt have Bosch back then.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Just my opinion, I had the MSD wires and they were not trouble free because the terminals would not go on the plugs really well after I had used them a while. I used Bosch plugs with them. Eventually one of the terminals pulled free of the wire. Not worth the money in my opinion.

TaZMaNiaK said:

Matt {peace}

G

·
There are three sets of wires at the 'Zone, two year warranty wires, I wouldn't run them, they suck. The Double-Silicon lifetimes are 7mm and are pretty good, I am running them on my 440 and the wifes exploder, zero problems to date. The Bosch wires are also lifetime warranty and are 8mm in most cases, I have run them in the past, on a 318, and had no problems. So, as long as you stay away from the 2 years, they are ok.

Chris

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I ran the dbl-silicones for a few years. Went to change plugs and the terminals came off on the plugs. They gave me a new set and I haven't had a problem since. Thats been about 3 years ago.. Changed plugs a few times in that time period. They do run pretty good tho.

EZ

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The MSD's have a lifetime, and that even includes if you pull t he wire out of the boot. I've also used Federal wires, which are now made by Standard -- They were 8.5mm and they were great till I pulled them apart... The A-Z Bosch wires for our trucks are 7mm...

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I don't remember the prices now, but when I replaced mine the Accel 8.8 wires weren't much more than the AutoZone's better ones (but I think the Accels were on sale). I've had no problems with them other than the coil wire wouldn't fit the coil right so I had to dig up a different one.

G

·
TaZMaNiaK said:
The MSD's have a lifetime, and that even includes if you pull t he wire out of the boot. I've also used Federal wires, which are now made by Standard -- They were 8.5mm and they were great till I pulled them apart... The A-Z Bosch wires for our trucks are 7mm...
The Bosch wires I put on my 82 RC 318 were 8mm, so were the ones I put on my kids 73 Swinger 318.

Chris

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will there be any performance differance between 7m and 8 m ? this is not a high perfomance vehichle .
thanks for the opinions

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have had good luck with the Accel 8mm custom. I cut them to length and crimp on the ends. I used them on a furd (pre-dodge days) with a 302 and never had any problems for 2 or so year. (sold the furd and bought a dodge-I am healed) I never liked the autozone wires and still don't like the bosch wires. They are still to long out of the box. I agree with taz the +4 are good and the +2 are Ok too.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I run the lifetimes on my 400 '74 Monaco and havent had a problem, they are new however, but I've had to disconnect em a couple times on all plugs. Came off easy enough. I am also running Bosch Platinums in the car and I really like them. They ahve been in the car for two years. Really cured that big miss I had. Every 5-10k miles or so I need to check the Ash Deposits from my leaky valve stem seals. I wire brush and scrape the deposits off, put um back in, and she runs like a top.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used a/c delco wires on mine the lengths were exact and the 7mm wires fit in the factory holders. I don't have a performance machine either so no real need for fat wires.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Go with the Mopar Preformance wires 7.5mm I've had mine for 3 years now and have had 0 problems even when I used to change the plugs like every week because I was having problems with the motor. I've even tested them and they are still conducting as they did when they were new.

·
Registered
34 Posts
lemme tell you all a story about my az experience today. i stopped in to get a gasket for my 9.25. the genius behind the counter looked it up and told me it was unavailable. but she said i could get one for the front axle. i said i don't have a four wheel drive truck. she said look up here it says two wheel drive. i ended that exchange and left. went to advance where they don't hire nitwits that couldn't find their asses with both hands. getting ready to run accel 8mm. see what happens

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
I ran the auto zone wires and had no problems until I changed the plugs, the wires broke upon removal. They werent easy to break but thats the only way they would come off. I took them back and auto zone replaced them no charge. The first set was red the replacements were black and had some lube where they connect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts