Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
Does it list a 90 Dodge truck? As far as I know, no one makes a chip for the older Dodges, and there is no easy way to swap in a chip. I would have to know more, but right now, my answer would be no, it is not going to help you.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the '90 does not have a crank sensor , so all the info for timing runs past/thru a timing chain, a set of gears , and a screwdriver blade slot driving the dizzy . The '90 has fairly low compression  , the '90 has only 2 injectors acting just like a carb , dumping fuel into a common hole for 4 cylinders each . all this makes the cam requirement what that is
( why folks have found changing the cam on a '90 system is so restricted )  basically a computer has only so much "control " over  such a system . Changing the programing ( what a "chip" does) could help some , but NOT much , certainly not 60 hp . With all that would have to be done to a '90 engine/system , your way far ahead doing all the work to change to a magnum engine and system , either way , it's NOT simple or cheap as 60 dollars ...

looking at new auto's , 8 coils 8 injectors , the fuel and spark delivery has become more precise , and adjusted in milly seconds  , it's how they can install the cams and compression to obtain power they do , and have it run from idle to wot properly .

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Jet performance is the only place that makes a chip for these year vehicals. And those were crap. For 60$ all your gonna get is a scam placebo,  some blinking lights and a circuit board that does absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The only way is to socket the computer. Which means de- soldering the prom and installing a socket which will take a removable chip.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
A couple places used to make a "chip" that went between the harness plug and the computer.  It tweaked the timing and fuel a bit and didn't really gain you much of anything except worse fuel mileage and I think some used to require premium fuel.  Hypertech was one company that made those years ago but they no longer make anything like that since it was pretty much worthless and no one bought them.  I think Jet is the only ones that still makes something for the TBI trucks, but again, they are a waste of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
X2

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SuperBurban said:
Does it list a 90 Dodge truck? As far as I know, no one makes a chip for the older Dodges, and there is no easy way to swap in a chip. I would have to know more, but right now, my answer would be no, it is not going to help you.
I'm pretty positive it's a scam because you pick your engine and whatnot for every dodge there is. And I'm dumb and ordered it before emailing the company to see what it does. I sent 3 emails to cancel and none of the 4 have been answered

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dodge82273 said:
the '90 does not have a crank sensor , so all the info for timing runs past/thru a timing chain, a set of gears , and a screwdriver blade slot driving the dizzy . The '90 has fairly low compression , the '90 has only 2 injectors acting just like a carb , dumping fuel into a common hole for 4 cylinders each . all this makes the cam requirement what that is
( why folks have found changing the cam on a '90 system is so restricted ) basically a computer has only so much "control " over such a system . Changing the programing ( what a "chip" does) could help some , but NOT much , certainly not 60 hp . With all that would have to be done to a '90 engine/system , your way far ahead doing all the work to change to a magnum engine and system , either way , it's NOT simple or cheap as 60 dollars ...

looking at new auto's , 8 coils 8 injectors , the fuel and spark delivery has become more precise , and adjusted in milly seconds , it's how they can install the cams and compression to obtain power they do , and have it run from idle to wot properly .
I gotcha. So i just got scammed because they won't answer me emails to cancel or return the order.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
hopefully they are not that bad , and will at least send you a part that does little or nothing .

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Absolutely nothing ,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.