Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've been lurking here for years but time for a first post.

I have a 90 RC that I've had for five years.  It had rust issues when I bought it and it's losing the battle.  It has been a daily driver and has always brought me home at the end of the day.  So time to find another.  So here's my question: if I replaced it with a 1975 would it be as awesome as I imagine it being?  Would the carb start as well as the throttle body injection?  Is the handling a lot worse?  Are parts impossible to find?  Would the convertible top be as fun as it looks?

Thanks, looking forward to any advice you guys have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
VTramcharger90 said:
Hello all,

I have a 90 RC that I've had for five years. It had rust issues when I bought it and it's losing the battle. It has been a daily driver and has always brought me home at the end of the day. So time to find another. So here's my question: if I replaced it with a 1975 would it be as awesome as I imagine it being? Would the carb start as well as the throttle body injection? Is the handling a lot worse? Are parts impossible to find? Would the convertible top be as fun as it looks?

Coming from jeeps i love having the option of pulling the top off. I had a 1990 ramcharger which was a rust bucket and not much left of it so it was sold for parts.

I cant tell you much about the first generation though cause i havent picked mine up yet from my buddy

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Depends on if you like leaks, because if the top has ever been off, or has a soft top, you are more than likely going to get leaks and have to deal with them.  As far as the top being "fun", that will depend on if you have friends to help take the steel top off, some sort of lifting system in your garage or it having a soft top.  The steel top is very heavy and taking it off is not an easy or quick job.  It's not difficult, just time consuming.  It's the sort of thing you do in the Spring and leave it off all Summer and put it on for the Fall and Winter if you live where the seasons change.  It's not going to be the sort of top you can just "toss on" whenever it starts raining.  And no, a carb engine will generally not start as well as a fuel injected one.  I've had carb engines that started better than my '88 TBI, but eventually they would find some time during the year to throw a fit and be hard to start.  The problems and solutions varied depending on if it was a stock or modified engine.  The handling will likely feel pretty similar, though front sway bars were very common in the '80s and not so common in the '70s so if you end up with one without the sway bar, it may be a bit loose feeling up front.

But like all our trucks there are quirks you have to get used to, problems of the breed that need to be dealt with and typical things to watch out for.  In the end a '75 isn't going to be much different if you look at it as a whole, but if you want to get down to details, they can be very different, particularly when comparing a '70s model to an '88-'93 model.  As far liking it, that is entirely up to you.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Welcome aboard former Lurker...I've had my 77 RC for over eleven years and still love it. Mind you, it's not a daily driver. It's my Spring thru Fall fun truck. I pulled the hard top shortly after buying it and have yet to put it back on. I have a soft top that I put on for the Winter and cover that with a SUV car cover. I also keep a bikini top in back just in case I get caught out in the rain. And, it stays in the garage when not driving it.

There are lots of upgrades out there to make the older RCs and TDs more reliable. But, in the end, you have to realize that these poptops are 40 plus years old. Finding one that is in perfect shape are few and far between, not to mention, getting more expensive with their increased popularity.

Personally for me, my RC still is awesome. And yes, as fun as it looks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,
I'm fine with quirks, my trucks have always had them.  Hopefully there is new weather stripping to keep out the leaks.  I would like to get one that can be restored back to like new.  My biggest concern is how well do they drive?  My 90 is a little loose in the steering but not too bad.  Definitely drives like a big old truck which I'm good with but wouldn't want much worse.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
between a NEW 1975 and a NEW 1990 , there was little difference in the driving . Note:  I said new  neither is new anymore so ......

·
Registered
447 Posts
I love all of mine but they do not drive like newer trucks of course you know this or you wouldnt be asking.
In Texas I couldn't really do mine as daily drivers since its too hot 5 months of the year but I do drive mine (5) a lot.
If you don't buy the 75 tell me about it that is one year I dont have yet in a pop top! I am always looking. PG

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
when they were new, people drove them 12 months a year in Texas too ... 

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about MPG? Anyone know what to expect from a 75 4x4 440?  My 90 has been running bad and chugging fuel for awhile so I'm used to bad numbers.  This is not a crucial issue I don't drive a ton and I have a Mini Cooper for long trips.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
VTramcharger90 said:
What about MPG? Anyone know what to expect from a 75 4x4 440? My 90 has been running bad and chugging fuel for awhile so I'm used to bad numbers. This is not a crucial issue I don't drive a ton and I have a Mini Cooper for long trips.
Well, with the aerodynamics of a cinder block and a big block V8, 6 to 7 MPG. 8 or 9 MPG if always going downhill.
Most folks don't buy these old rigs for their MPGs. They already have daily drivers with much better MPGs.

I get close to 20 MPG out of mine. But, it's a 4 cylinder diesel.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
410's efi 318 14    354 efi 360 16  321's 318 2bbrl 14  321's o.d. 318 4 brl 13  but none have over size tires .

·
Registered
65 Posts
VTramcharger90 said:
Hello all,

I have a 90 RC that I've had for five years. It had rust issues when I bought it and it's losing the battle. It has been a daily driver and has always brought me home at the end of the day. So time to find another. So here's my question: if I replaced it with a 1975 would it be as awesome as I imagine it being? Would the carb start as well as the throttle body injection? Is the handling a lot worse? Are parts impossible to find? Would the convertible top be as fun as it looks?

I just picked up a 2wd '85. I'm having to get used to carburetor starting. With EFI, you turn the key and go. Carburetors require warm up in the winter, setting the choke and, especially where you're at, a heater tube on the exhaust manifold to prevent carburetor icing.

I had a '78 Trailduster for several years. It got terrible fuel mileage but was a pile of parts. After I replaced the fuel tank with one that didn't have a hole in the side, replaced the left front spindle and bearings, replaced the engine with one thta didn't have the oil pan adjusted with a hammer, I got 10-12 mpg.

The biggest thing you'll find different is the 4WD selector lever. My old '84 W150 would go in and out of 4WD easily. the Trailduster you needed to back up a little bit to loosen the chains inside the transfer case. Then again, the '84 had close to 400K on the clock when the tin worms got to it.

If you haven't found a unit yet and are willing to travel, I've found the cars north of I-64 tend to dissolve from rust. Cars south tend to be more solid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.