Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
ALL dodge trucks use thru bolts on the manifold to y-pipe , l just reach up with a whiz wheel [ cut-off tool ] and cut them = easy peasy
Unrelated to this post but that's great to know! I need to remove the Y pipe on my 74 and I was dreading snapping studs off. You gave me the motivation to get to it now!!

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I actually prefer tinkering on cars and trucks alone. I know there are sometimes when you need an extra hand or help lifting things. I use vice grips or ingenuity to work by myself. It is my personal time, my me time as the ladies call it. Put on some old rock and roll and lose track of time in my garage. One thing I don't have on my garage wall: a clock.
I like this comment... except for the old Rock and Roll part... unless it's The Byrds.
I do have a clock. There's always a limit on my time. There's always something or somebody that needs me someplace.

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
206 Posts
Do yourself a favor and always ALWAYS have the ability to call for help if your alone. the cell phone on the table only helps if you can reach it and simple stuff turns into an ordeal if your right hand gets stuck somewhere

·
Registered
31,104 Posts
Unrelated to this post but that's great to know! I need to remove the Y pipe on my 74 and I was dreading snapping studs off. You gave me the motivation to get to it now!!

here's the drivers side

Wood Floor Flooring Font Concrete

·
Administrator
61,834 Posts
ALL dodge trucks use thru bolts on the manifold to y-pipe , l just reach up with a whiz wheel [ cut-off tool ] and cut them = easy peasy
And when I put the new bolts in, I weld a chunk of metal to the head, so they will not turn, and do not need a wrench to hold the bolt.

This is way fancier then I do, but it gives the idea. I just use a 2" or so piece of scrap, or an old bolt, and weld it across the top.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Exactly. I just did this a couple weeks ago. Pneumatic cut off wheel easily reached both sides. Not like you want to reuse the rusty exhaust bolts anyway.

My wife often suggests that my 19 year old son can help me with my projects. He is a great kid, but not interested in cars/trucks. I tell my wife it takes longer for me to explain what to do, watch him do it, then fix it when he does it wrong, than to just do it myself…

Reactions: 74snowfiter

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
335 Posts
Yep. Always alone. I'm used to working alone, and usually prefer it. This truck stuff seems to need 2 people sometimes, and I'm looking for workarounds. Just realized maybe I can set up my phone on something to video one area while I fiddle with another (here, look for any play in this type stuff). I'm a loner, and really don't have any friends. That being said, it's definitely a sort of therapy. If I'm confident about what I'm doing, I totally do the beer, manuals, no clock, and tunes thing. If I'm not confident, it's coffee, manuals, no clock, and the tunes turned down so I can see better. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: pir2

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I started training my kids early, and I gotta say it looks promising...
Today my oldest (11yo)was mowing for 4 hours and my second (7yo) cleaned the summer wheels all by herself and helped me change them.

They are too young to help me with the heavy jobs but at least I have more time for my own tasks.

Cloud Plant Tire Wheel Sky

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1988 Ramcharger W150, 318, 4-speed; 2008 Sebring Convertible; 2015 Challenger Shaker SCATPack 392 A8
73 Posts
Today my oldest (11yo)was mowing for 4 hours and my second (7yo) cleaned the summer wheels all by herself and helped me change them.

They are too young to help me with the heavy jobs but at least I have more time for my own tasks.
Would you rent them out? You would of course need to arrange for the shipping to the states. My own son is 38 and has yet to hit a lick with any sort of help. Hell, I haven't heard from him in almost 3 years, the last I heard he was living in another state and getting a new cell phone. He was supposed to call when he got a new number, haven't heard a word.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Would you rent them out? You would of course need to arrange for the shipping to the states.
Renting small children is illegal but using them for my own needs isn't :) so the answer would have to NO.
Besides I need them here :ROFLMAO:

My own son is 38 and has yet to hit a lick with any sort of help. Hell, I haven't heard from him in almost 3 years, the last I heard he was living in another state and getting a new cell phone. He was supposed to call when he got a new number, haven't heard a word.
That sucks. I'm 42 so I'm basically the same age as you son and I can't imagine not being in contact with my folks.
I wish today's people would focus more on important real life stuff than on social media. The more likes you get the better person you are... WRONG!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I work on all my junk alone, in a gravel driveway, nothing I havent completed yet....trans swaps, engines swaps, bed swaps, as others have said, when its only you you'll find a way.

Reactions: RCCADMAN

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

View attachment 629083

View attachment 629082
I had one of my daughters out mowing the property on the lawn tractor as well. She would put on her headphones and drive in circles for a few hours. She turned out to be a pretty good driver when that time came. I also had her driving the truck now and then on the property too.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts