Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I would like to use work on vehicles or fabing stuff as my own personal ZEN time, I've become painfully aware of the limitations of just working on stuff by my loan some. Currently I need to remove the exhaust y pipe on my 96 dodge ram 1500. Due to the placement of the bolts that hold the Y pipe to the manifold its almost impossible to loosen the bolts without an assistant holding a wrench on the tops of them while I unbolt them from the bottom. I can't get my hand topside of the bolts to hold them with a wrench so I'm kinda stuck until I can find someone to help me for all of 5 minutes. Even things that are technically doable with only one person are much easier with two...My question is how can I better at doing these random tasks that seem to require multiple people, because they arn't always gonna be around when I need them. Hell, most of my friends would probably shoot me if I asked for their help to work on cars at zero dark thirty, because there is a good chance they are sleeping while I am cursed to be wide awake...

Reactions: BearGills

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
There is no easy solution. I had a friend come over after work just last night (10 pm) for all of 2 minutes to help me with a connection on my Jeep's DEF tank - I held pressure on the release tab while he pulled. I just couldn't do it by myself. Options include making a helpful teenager (takes too long and often is unreliable), asking the wife (not practical because you have to take them out to dinner for 5 minutes of their help), or maybe waiting for on some tasks for when it's convenient to have a friend come over.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have the same problem, but things have to be done.
When I have tasks that require more people I plan them ahead and wait till there's more to be done and invite someone to come over and help. That way I'm not wasting someone's time for a 5 min job, and 1-hour drive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same here, Own personal ZEN time, i like that.
Wife is my best partner, she is available in short notice to give a hand and doesn't mind getting dirty. But, she understand that I like to be alone in my temple.
Having a volunteer to hold stuff while wrenching is grreat, but I learned to use brain/duct tape/steel wire as helping hand.

Kids are also avail, but have to ask for help, and they prefer to be on their phone.

Neighbour is OK, but the fairness of service exchange is uneven. If he is helping holding the door open, he thinks that I will do brake job(less parts) on his car to return the service. But, I may be wrong.

Wife says that I'm rich in friendships (some from kidergarden and I'm 50), but I'm confortable being a mole doing my thing in my space. Like Walt Kowalski (without the Korean war experience)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I usually go topside and put a wrench o the bolt and spin it until it hits something, and then go bottomside to spin the nut off. If the wrench won't hit something, I put a pipe on the end of it. I work alone a lot too. Friends and family live too far away for a few seconds of help.

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
696 Posts
luckily I have a friend who likes my RC and doesn’t mind if I need two people. He usually isn’t doing much and just comes anyways. We don’t call for favors, we just do.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
for me, in situations like that when a friend or spouse isn't available, I often end up making some sort of custom tool contraption...often of questionable quality...but it most times works out well enough to get it done...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I actually prefer tinkering on cars and trucks alone. I know there are sometimes when you need an extra hand or help lifting things. I use vice grips or ingenuity to work by myself. It is my personal time, my me time as the ladies call it. Put on some old rock and roll and lose track of time in my garage. One thing I don't have on my garage wall: a clock.

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
...we're our own cult...

• Haha
Reactions: RCCADMAN

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ive always had to work alone so that's normally how I work best. When I do have help, I normally try to do two different things,just to speed projects up.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,308 Posts
I prefer to wrench alone these days unless i really need help (like pulling out a 727 with a 203 attached to it and you have no transmission jack) but i do miss wrenching on the race car at the shop with a few of the other guys on the team passing wrenches back and fourth. The problem today is that people always say that they are busy but really, they're not all that busy, just lazy and whiney. So many of my friends these days can't be bothered to even wipe their asses they're so lazy, they have old Mopars sitting in their garages and never drive them anymore, they just cant be bothered and when i ask them for a hand they whine and cry worse than women do.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,308 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: RCCADMAN

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm beginning to think Classic Dodge truck guys are introverts. LOL
Chevy and Ford guys like to talk to each other about how much their trucks suck. We sit alone in glory.

·
6,308 Posts
Ford and Chevy guys are like A-holes........everyone's got one. 😂

1 - 20 of 32 Posts