Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 88 RAMCHARGER 4+2 318 W AUTO TRANS,
AFTER DRIVING FOR ADOUT 20 MINS.AND I TURN IT OFF
IT WONT START.SOME TIMES IT WILL START AFTER 6 10 TRYS AND SOME TIMES I HAVE TO WAIT ABOUT A HOUR.
IT HAPPENS ABOUT EVERY 8 TIMES BUT ITS GETTING MORE COMMON.SOME TOLD ME IT A STARTER SOME SAY THE
RUN START RELAY. HOW CAN I TELL?WHERE IT THE RUN
START RELAY, HELP!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Starter is a good possibility, but I would also check the ignition module if those 88's have one. Mine is a 77 and that is what my problem was.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Your coil may be going out. Many coils will work fine when cold, but once the engine has warmed up, the coil can overheat and stop producing spark. Next time it won't start, check for spark. If you have none, the coil is likely the problem.

-SM

·
Registered
777 Posts
Your coil may be going out. Many coils will work fine when cold, but once the engine has warmed up, the coil can overheat and stop producing spark. Next time it won't start, check for spark. If you have none, the coil is likely the problem.
that's a good first step.

I was wondering...if you do wait an hour, does it crank up on the first try, every time?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Welcome to the board! NO NEED TO SHOUT - We're not deaf - yet! ;D ;D Does it ever quit dead on you while you're out driving? If so, it could be the Hall Effect pickup in the distributor. These things tend to develop thermal problems, so that's something to think about. Also, when you say it won't start, does it crank and not fire? Or does it do nothing when you turn the key? If you get nothing, do you hear a click? If it won't crank, it is more than likely the starter. 88's don't have a run/start relay. It could be the Starter relay, but it's usually pre '87's that eat those because they changed to a better relay in '88.

Matt {peace}

1 - 7 of 7 Posts