Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my local wal-mart and spotted these mopar oil filters in the blue and white box, i have a 360 magnum in a 91 ram and i'm running headers, so the only size of filter that i can use are the wix 51085 or the napa gold 1085 and the car quest premium filter number i believe is 81085?
Anyways the napa gold and the car quest blue (premium) are also made by wix and are basically a wix filter. the cheapiest out of the three is the wix 51085 at orielly auto parts cost is 5.89 i believe pretty much 6 bucks.... I seen the mopar filters at wal-mart for 5.19 so i bought two of them.
When i got home i opened up the box and compared them to the wix and they look nothing alike, i was just trying to determine if these mopars are made by wix and apprently not.
As far as qaulity, they look and feel like a good filter tho, although the case does not seem to be quite as thick as the wix, they do feel about the same in weight. My next oil change i'm going to try one out since i bought 2 of em anyways. I'm assuming these mopar filters are being made by ether champion or purolator but not 100 percent sure, has anyone else ran these filters? and does anyone else know who makes them? and last but not least are they any good? and how do they compare to the wix filters?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the black mopar filter, and i figured it was ether a purolator or champion made filter.
is the black mopar filters based of purolators pure one filter? or just there standard purolator? and are the purolators pretty good filters? i just do not know much about them, never have ran anything but wix filters and i have heard good things about the purolator pure one filter, just never ran a purolator of any kind before.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It does not sound like you have enough room for one but I use the Motorcraft FL1A oil filter on all of my
Dodge engines. I figure if it can clean the oil well enough to keep a Ford together, my engines should last
Forever.  :) Plus they hold more oil.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
pjc360 said:
its the black mopar filter, and i figured it was ether a purolator or champion made filter.
is the black mopar filters based of purolators pure one filter? or just there standard purolator? and are the purolators pretty good filters? i just do not know much about them, never have ran anything but wix filters and i have heard good things about the purolator pure one filter, just never ran a purolator of any kind before.
my guess is that it's a classic line but im not certain. there is some debate on the web about it. i wouldnt be scared to use them if i got a deal on them. i would not pay extra money for them just because they say "mopar" on the box over a PureOne or a wix/napa gold/carquest blue. you have nothing to worry about using them - purolator makes outstanding filters.

mopar1 said:
It does not sound like you have enough room for one but I use the Motorcraft FL1A oil filter on all of my Dodge engines. I figure if it can clean the oil well enough to keep a Ford together, my engines should last Forever. :) Plus they hold more oil.
you can run a wix 51515 or napa 1515 or any of the other fl1a interchanges if you dont want a ferd filter on your car. btw from what i've read most of the motorcraft filters are also made by purolator but to ferd specs. they are VERY good filters and normally cheaper than their purolator branded replacement.

matt

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would be running the 51515, but a 51515 wont fit, im running headers and the 51085 is only filter that will fit my engine with the headers.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The mopar filters sold at walmart are the same ones they use at dealerships for oil changes even with same part numbers , only cheaper . They are Mopar Licensed replacement filters .

·
29,921 Posts
Forget about Mopar filters, it is a known fact that they could be made by anyone, even Fram.

If you want inexpensive, Purolater and Wix decent. If you are dwelling on filters that much, just get Mobil 1, Royal Purple etc. then you know you're getting one of the best.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
KThaxton said:
Forget about Mopar filters, it is a known fact that they could be made by anyone, even Fram.
from all the filter studies done recently it appears that they are currently made by purolator - the fact that they could switch it to a fram or worse at a moments notice is reason enough not to make a habit of using them.

KThaxton said:
If you want inexpensive, Purolater and Wix decent. If you are dwelling on filters that much, just get Mobil 1, Royal Purple etc. then you know you're getting one of the best.
agreed. it is pointless to use any decent motor oil and skimp on the filter. doubleplus pointless if you're going to the expense of using synthetic oil.

·
Super Moderator
29,772 Posts
Just so everyone knows, that video on the Mopar Oil filter is NOT representative of their normal filter line. The fact that it's white and uses the "0" series part numbers tells anyone familiar with Mopar Parts that it's the generic bulk line of filters that Mopar sells to the dealership for use on Brand X vehicles. They do have some that will fit older Mopar engines, but I can't remember any dealership selling them for anything other than Brand X stuff that comes in for some sort of "oil change special", which those deals almost always have the poorest quality oil and filters. Anyway, the "0" series filters are bulk generics, the guy even said it came off a Trailblazer engine, and are not made to the same specs as the normal filter line that have not been painted white since the mid '80s.

Also I have to mention that the guy is a goddamn idiot. He seems to think there is no relief valve in the filter but clearly shows you the spring and what he calls an "adaptor" with no seal. If the filter clogs, the pressure compresses the spring and the filter element moves towards the end of the filter and allows oil to bypass the element. If there was no relief valve, there would be no need for any spring.

Also, I have used nothing but Mopar filters on all my vehicles, including my Galant, and have had no issues with them. When I worked at the dealership in the mid '90s, the filters were made by Wix and would come in cardboard cases stamped with the name Wix. Before that, I was told they were made by Wynn's in the '80s but I have no idea really. I have never heard that they were ever made by Fram. Here is a fairly modern Mopar filter, apparently a 5281090, but he is either reading the wrong number or they quit putting the full number on the filter since the last case I bought was made:

What's in a Mopar filter?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have never personally seen engine damage due to a poor oil filter, but i have heard of it, a guy i knew of but didnt really know that well raced a car at the local circle track, he ran a camaro with a 383 stroker in the super stock race class, anyways he was buyinh the napa nascar select oil filters for his race car, my uncle ownerd the local napa and my old man managed it.
Anyways this guy came into napa one afternoon and he had one of them napa nascar select oil filters in his hand and the inside of it had came apart and the outter case was dented in pretty bad because of the inside of it exploding basically, and this guy says look at this and throws it up on the counter and says, this is your guys best filter and look what happened to it, he said my engine is being re-built right now because of that filter failing.....
My old man said thats not our best filter bud he said the nascar selects are middle grade the napa golds are our best filters and he said and i can order you a wix racing filter wich is even better then the napa golds, and from that time on there was a wix racing oil filter in the frieght basket on the saturday mornings before the races lol.
I have always ran ether wix, or the napa gold or the car quest blues, i just decided to buy two of these mopar oil filters because they were on sale at my local wal-mart they were 75 cents cheaper a filter then the wix filters i can get at oriellys, its not saving that much money but i thought its a good deal and i figured mopar wouldnt put there name on anything thats junk....

·
Super Moderator
29,772 Posts
Oh they can and do, just look at the white Mopar filter in the vid above, lol.  As far as racing engines, using run of the mill filters is a bad idea if it's a true racing engine and not just a warmed over street engine that some yahoo is calling a racing engine.  The modifications to the oiling system on a racing engine do not mix well with a standard filter.  Most of the time the extra pressure will cause the bypass to open so very little filtering is done.  Racing filters are generally larger, have a thicker casing and have high flow elements in them that filter out the big stuff but do little to catch the tiny particles that would eventually damage a high mileage engine.  It boils down to picking the right part for the job, but yeah, I've seen the "but this is what they use in NASCAR, it says so right on the box" argument concerning morons and products licensed with the NASCAR name.

As far as engine failure due to a filter, I have only seen a few and they were all related to the case bursting.  I have seen several other failures that resulted in major engine damage related to filters but they were all some sort of human error like leaving the old seal stuck to the filter adaptor and my own personal failure from trusting the rubber oil lines that came with a Transdapt remote oil filter kit.  No matter what anyone says, if the engine is above idle when it completely loses oil pressure, there is not enough time to shut the engine off before the bearings and crank are wiped.  ;D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya, this guy said his race engine was being re-built do to the filter exploding... i do not know how modifyed it was... i do know it was a 383 stroker engine in a camaro and he was racing in the super stock class, so it had to of been some what modifyed to be in the super stock race class. Funny how he thought it was napas best oil filter because it said nascar on it lol, after he left my old man was like i cant believe he thought he was getting such a great filter considering it is only 3.75 for the filter lol, the wix racing filter that this guy started using after the filter failure he expirenced cost around 12 bucks. but ya he was all serious this is your best filter lol whys that? cause it says nascar on it? lol its under 4 dollars and you think your buying a superb filter? people are dumb.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sounds like his bearing clearances were too tight....

Typical Chevy bonehead.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The typical street stocks you see on the west coast are far cry from the average street stock you see anywhere else. I have never ran a race car that used a spin on oil filter, except one where we used a m103 filter.

I have also never seen a car that had more then 70psi at WOT on the track and lived to tell the tale.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
hoov100 said:
The typical street stocks you see on the west coast are far cry from the average street stock you see anywhere else. I have never ran a race car that used a spin on oil filter, except one where we used a m103 filter.

I have also never seen a car that had more then 70psi at WOT on the track and lived to tell the tale.
We weren't that far away from what west coast was doing with cars on street , We used to race full blown race cars on the streets , and in some places still do . and I agree regular spin on filters were not used much , but mopar performance did off a race filter then too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.