Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to thank you all for all the information you put up on here. It has helped tremendously. However, I'm simply trying to install the simple electronic ignition on my '86 D100. Under the hood is the slant six, single pickup distributor, dual ballast resistor, ignition module, and coil. All have been replaced and tested to the best of my ability. I receive no "start" spark. I do receive a spark when I turn the ignition switch "off". I have read many forums to find what could be the problem. Some touch slightly on my issue, but not enough. Please, I need help. Lol
The truck is a family heirloom and I don't want to give up on him. Here's the family. Lol and that'll be Leroy on the trailer.

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
Welcome.

You should have electronic ignition, it might be the crappy lean burn,but by your description, it sounds like you don't. I would start with taking a bunch of pics of the various parts, then we can direct you in the right direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're probably going to ask yourself "why?". Lol
But, it did have the "lean burn" ECU inside the driver fender behind the battery. My father in law wasn't a mechanic, he was a carpenter. So, he just cut, pulled, tied, etc. wires and many other things. Sensors missing here and there. I wanted to "clean" up the engine bay by just installing the basic electronic ignition that became standard in '74 I do believe. You will have to forgive me on details on some of this. I'm a GM guy. I kept everything and put it on my parts self. I hoard things like that, lol. But, I have a bad feeling I should've just left things alone...
On pics, I'll have to do that later after work
And thank you again.

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
Ok, that helps. I was wondering why you have a dual ballast, when 86 used a single ballast.

If you can get pics of all the components, it will help.

Also, where did you tie in to get power for the box with the key in the run, and the start position? IIRC, the key switch on the 86 still cut the main power lead to the engine, and you need the start bypass wire that bypasses the ballast, to get power for the ignition. I will have to look that up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I chased wires and looked at many different year diagrams. My best "option" was to run "ign1" off a heavy gauge dark blue wire. That had power on both start and run. But, pink and black seem to be the by pass. Or at least that's what info I can find. I'll get some pics later tonight, if you don't care.

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
you need to read this article all 3 pages

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are the wires from the bulkhead that correspond with the half moon under the dash.

The dark blue from the half moon is here connected to the ballast. Then continued on to icm, voltage regulator and then alternator...?

The double on one post is supposed to be "start" by pass.

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
dual ballast ECM wiring [ top diagram ], a 1986 like yours should be wiried for a Single ballast [ bottom diagram ]

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
1986 lean burn wiring

deleted so as not to confuse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks brother. I will actually right now. I'm so eager to get him going, but I gotta wait for y'alls guidance. Lol
It's been a long fight with Leroy. When they say, "it's been one thing or another "....well yeah. This is the first forum I've ever signed up and everything. Kinda wished I did it sooner.

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
you need to RIP everything out and start over

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I'm running a dual ballast on a single ballast system. Will that be an issue? Also, cavity number 3 "green" is no longer used, right? That's why I left it blank. Sorry for the cruddy wiring job. I got tired of wasting connectors and it will not look that way when finished.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I unplugged the others to try and clearly show where I had my blue going. To pin 1
The coil ground

The distributor orange

The distributor black

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
Ok, I will study those a bit. You are correct, with the four pin ECU, you only need a single ballast, or just one side of the dual. I think you have the right side, but it should not matter if the ballast bypass is working. I will look when I get back in a few hours, and see what I can find in the rest of the pics.

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
you need to to buy a ECM pig tail plug

back in the day l,ve converted 100's of lean burns over , it was just so easy to go to the junkyard and find a slantsix truck or car that was NON lean burn and grab the Dist and wiring harness, because as you must have noticed the the lean burn harness is an ADD on and the same with the NON lean burn harness , you unplugged it and got the ballast and the coil with the ECM and Dist all on ONE harness that unplugged , it was like catching 4 fish on 1 hook

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
so you have a Vacuum advance Dist and NON lean burn Carb

also your gonna hafta OHM out that dual ballast to find the correct voltage side to hook to

·
Registered
13 Posts
I converted many older non-electronic and newer Lean-Burn systems to electronic. The EASIEST way to do it is to find a vehicle with the standard electronic in a salvage yard and steal the engine harness. That way you have all of the correct plugs. When I was doing it there were plenty available, but not so much any more.

You don't say where you are, but try hitting a swap meet or work the phones to see if a local junkyard has something. You can always lengthen/shorten/replace wires, but having a solid starting point will make life much easier, since you haven't been working on these systems for (counts on fingers, shakes head, counts again...:oops:) 40+ years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I converted many older non-electronic and newer Lean-Burn systems to electronic. The EASIEST way to do it is to find a vehicle with the standard electronic in a salvage yard and steal the engine harness. That way you have all of the correct plugs. When I was doing it there were plenty available, but not so much any more.

You don't say where you are, but try hitting a swap meet or work the phones to see if a local junkyard has something. You can always lengthen/shorten/replace wires, but having a solid starting point will make life much easier, since you haven't been working on these systems for (counts on fingers, shakes head, counts again...:oops:) 40+ years.
Lol. Almost too long to count. You have 39.5 years more experience with MOPAR than I do. I studied the wiring diagram over and it seems to be a bare bones ignition. Which I'm fine with. I don't have all the sensors and....crap. I just wanted a simple little six.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts