Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a body off complete resto of my '90 rc. I'm almost ready for the wiring harness only to discover that the usual spots do not offer a vehicle specific harness for our rigs. Does anyone have a lead on who might build one?

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
only owner ones , no one offers one that is plug/play for dodge .

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
3,917 Posts
Many times a harness can be reconditioned if it's not cracked or broken anywhere. You can use a degreaser on it and a scotchbrite pad to make it look good and crimp on any new terminals if needed.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
yup a FSM is your friend when it comes to wiring a dodge

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
My harness is in good shape and I have a spare just in case but I was looking at it a while back and noticed that it wouldn't be hard to make one from scratch as long as you save the plastic plugs. I might actually still make a new one with new wire and one gauge size larger.

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
The older years were simpler, as you get closer to 93, there may be 5 or more different harnesses, depending on engine/trans/cruise/alt size, ect. So many variables that replacement harnesses are not worth stocking.

Look around, you can find the terminals and tools for changing them, and you reuse the old plug housings. Also, it is quite likely that many of your wires are still quite good. Having the proper year FSM, is well worth having, saves lots of headaches.

I pull the harness, and lay it out. Then take all the covering off, and examine each wire from end to end. Repair what is needed, add others as needed, then wrap it all back up with the cheapest electrical tape I can find (the right stuff has no adheasive, so cheap is close enough for me). Then wrap the ends near the plugs with good electrical tape to keep the cheap stuff from unwinding.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
That's true, the 1980's and earlier are easy to make for sure. In the later years the Dodge wiring became a little confusing as did Ford.

·
Super Moderator
14,018 Posts
I'm doing a body off complete resto of my '90 rc. I'm almost ready for the wiring harness only to discover that the usual spots do not offer a vehicle specific harness for our rigs. Does anyone have a lead on who might build one?
No one makes a replacement, and used ones are risky. It's a little slow, but you can easily remake your own. I did 90% of mine replacing 1 wire at a time, and you get better real fast. Buying a couple of quality tools (crimper, stripper) makes it much faster and is worth the expense. Buy cross-linked insulated wire, not the cheap stuff from the box stores.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts