Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have browsed through pages of posts and can't seem to find help on this , I have put the body of a 72 d-100 /318 4 sp. on a 80 w-200 /360 4 sp. I would like to use the wiring harness from the 72 as it is in mint shape . the harness from the 80 is toast. Someone , before i got it removed the engine and cut the wiring everywhere I also have the complete wiring harness from a 75 d-100 360 auto. The 72 has no electronic control unit so will i have to change the distributor? my Haynes manual only goes back to 74 so I don't have any info on this Thanks ; Mike

·
Registered
30,125 Posts
l,d use the 75 harness because yer book covers it and it has electronic ignition

·
7,995 Posts
Do you need just the engine wiring harness diagram for the 72? Since the 72 did not have electronic ignition then you will have to rewire for that or use the Mopar Performance electronic conversion kit. I'm sure there will be other things to tweek in the wiring. I think I might have a 72 book...I will look tonite

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Chump said:
Do you need just the engine wiring harness diagram for the 72? Since the 72 did not have electronic ignition then you will have to rewire for that or use the Mopar Performance electronic conversion kit. I'm sure there will be other things to tweek in the wiring. I think I might have a 72 book...I will look tonite
When did the Dodges put electronic ignition on the trucks; I know my '72 Fury's all had electronic in them.. and all the Mopars I've had '73 and later have had it.
Either way.. I'd just wire the electronic ignition into the '72 harness.. It's not like you're trying to add a lean burn to it.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chump ;It says on the voltage regulator that it is electronic and it has a ballast resistor . I am using all the lights ,instruments ,heater,wipers etc. from the 72. I sold the 318 that was in the truck so i can't look in the distributor .I'm told that the 75 and the 80 have magnetic pic-up coils in the distributor. I took pictures before I took the 72 apart so I can see where most everything hooks up .I don't know if it's just the dist. I have a problem with or something more. the 72 only has 15000 orig miles and the harness looks new. The one from the 75 looks similar but is not in as good condition. Thanks Mike

·
7,995 Posts
I believe that 72 was hit and miss on the electronic ignition...may have been an option...looks like is was standard in 73? i have sent you an email with the 72 wiring digrams...also you can have an "electronic" voltage regulator and still have point type ignition. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts