Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1982 RC 4wd 318 2bbl, auto trans
noticed last week the headlights getting a bit dim so checked the battery and alternator, result both bad, swapped em out and still have the same problem volts guage reading low, checked all my wires from alt to termination point and all check out with continuity tester, also replaced voltage reg, and ballast resistor. truck runs fine volts guage reads low only when headights are on, when you pull off one battery terminal or the other it dies...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked the grounds and still have issues...

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Is your alt making any output? (at the output terminal? at the battery?) If not, make sure it is grounding (should ground through the case, but you can run a jumper wire from the 'GND' terminal to the block to be sure)

May want to check the green wire from the alt to VR again, if it is broken the alt will not charge.

Have you inspected/cleaned the bulkhead connector?

-SM

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no havent even messed with the bulkhead connector...whats the deal with it...

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Corrosion in the bulkhead connector can play all kinds of games with your electrical system. Ignition, heater, lights, gauges, wipers, virtually everything electrical in your truck has a wire passing through this connector.

Simply remove the hold bolt, and pull it straight out (clean the area around it first, so as not to drop oil/dust/debris in there) If it is corroded, get a toothbrush (or similar) and some electrical parts cleaner and clean up the pins...being careful not to bend them.

Is the alt charging? Have you cehecked the fuseible link between the alt and the battery?

-SM

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok ill check that out, the alt is only putting out at a max 11.94 volts so im going to check have no way to check amps my meter only goes to 10 and i dont want to fry it...

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Approx 12 volts is more than likely battery voltage. You do not need an ammeter to test your alt, the volt meter is fine. You should have around 14 volts at the alt output terminal when it is charging. First thing I would try is adding a ground jumper wire to the alt from the 'GND' (ground) terminal to the block (also make sure your block to chassis ground strap is in good condition and the mounts are clean, do the same with the battery main negative cable, which should be attached to the vlock as well.

Second, clean the mount bolts and mount points for the volateg regulator (it grounds through the case)

Then check you voltage at the alt output (engine running) again.

-SM

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well could be part of the problem but ive never had an engine to frame ground cable putting one on as we speak...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
think that may have fixed it the alt was putting out about 12 or so volts swapped it out for a good one, cleaned behind the volt reg. and put on a engine to frame ground wire, the alt now puts out about 15 or so volts, the meter on the dash still dips and stays on the d side at about the first line but with the neg wire off and the truck running(stays running by the way) the output is still 15 or so volts and the headlights, heater blower and radio on doesnt kill it thats all the loads i could think i think the problem is fixed thanks for the tips guys, ill definitely be back here in the future...

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Your battery is probably somewhat discharged from running w/o an alt charging it. After you have given it time to re-charge (take a 20-30 minute cruise) check the output at the alt again. 15 volts is a little high, but is probably because it is re-charging the battery (it could also be from the VR being cold, it should drop alt output slightly as it warms up). Around 14.5 volts at the alt, and between 13.5-14.2 at the battery when running are 'normal' numbers. If you have more than a one volt drop between the alt output terminal and the battery, start looking for, cleaning, and tightening corroded connections (especially on the ammeter in the dash). Glad we could help. ;D

-SM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.