Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My harness on the column connection is charred (74 pw). I can only assume my grounds are failing as it is the negative wire (or i'm back feeding). Anybody seen this before? Has anybody bypassed it, or should I replace the whole loom before it smokes at the firewall? Anyone know of a source for the full harness? Thanks- Josh

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
No custom full harness other than a possible New-Old-Stock search...

Not just grounds but probably worn thru/melted or burnt thru in other spots... and probaby faulty connections at the firewall. I know it's a nasty job, but you've got to sit down and rewire... or go up in smoke.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
3jvj, i have had the same problem w/my 79 motor home. it took a long time to find out the cause of the multiple symptoms. missing, stalling, low power, ect. i went from looking at fuel related problems to ignition related problems. my symptoms were after driving about an hour in hot weather it would sometimes completely quit after 30 min or so of low power, missing, ect. never had a problem in cool weather or at night. finally i noticed that the wiring to the ign sw was warm to hot. i resolved the prob by off-loading some of the high current loads to relays and using the ign sw to only pick the relays. some of the ckts i powered w/relays are, fuel injection, fuel pumps, air cond, and a couple others that i don't recall. that fixed the prob completely. no more hot weather prob. dodge wiring is marginal at best, especially in the motor home where there has been a lot of addon ckts by the mh mfg. i did have some ign sw and bulkhead wiring that showed excessive heat. hope this helps --sheriff--

·
7,995 Posts
You say charred...is that a grey kinda half moon shaped plastic connector with 7 or 8 wires? Is anything else charred that you can see on the steering column? As mentioned before Mopar wiring is marginal and you have 30 years on your truck...I have a 77 :) As I recall the igntion switch will come with half of the grey connector and I think I have the other plastic half here at home. Get back to us.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Well, yeah, if it's just the "dead plastic" connector (they do age and look 'burnt'), you may get off light as Chump suggests...

And, as Sheriff suggested, if you remove some of the load, it'll last longer.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too had a 79 motorhome with some scary wiring issues; good time (shag green carpet and an eight track player- oh yeah).
Yes, I am talking about the connector that later became the grey/white. Thanks for the advice, Iv'e been wanting to add relays for years, I'll let you know how it comes out.

How hot do these connectors usually get? I can only assume if mine gets hot at all I've got issues correct?
Thanks again- Josh

·
7,995 Posts
3jvj said:
I too had a 79 motorhome with some scary wiring issues; good time (shag green carpet and an eight track player- oh yeah).
Yes, I am talking about the connector that later became the grey/white. Thanks for the advice, Iv'e been wanting to add relays for years, I'll let you know how it comes out.

How hot do these connectors usually get? I can only assume if mine gets hot at all I've got issues correct?
Thanks again- Josh
I've felt the terminals get hot enough to make your finger say...hmmmm :eek: Welcome to Mopar wiring technology at it's best!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts