Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1989 ramcharger, 318 with a carb, np435 4 speed, np241 tc, 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having trouble getting my wipers to work on my 1981 Ramcharger. I hit the wiper switch and i can hear the relay click, but nothing happens, i get power to some of the terminals on the switch itself and some turn on and off as you change the speed. I put a new wiper motor on and added a ground but still nothing, i checked all grounds and i can see everything easily because i have my dash removed, what else is there to check? All the wiring looks to be okay, also it has the delay function as well. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Have you tried testing the switch?
Most likely the relay or the switch.

·
Registered
1989 ramcharger, 318 with a carb, np435 4 speed, np241 tc, 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I swapped out the switch but nothing changed, the relay clicks when changing speed but i haven’t changed the relay yet

·
Registered
432 Posts
Then the relay, as these things are quite old, once you replace that, if it doesnt solve the problem, we have a lot more digging to do.
But in most cases the wire just carries the signal, so the relay is the next critical control point.
When it comes to the electronics on these old buggars, it doesn’t hurt to replace em. But keep your old ones for future testing, I repetitively make the mistake of throwing away everything.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
um , what wiper relay ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The green wiper box for the intermittent wipers, or is that not the only one? I couldn’t find any fuses or anything else

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Is your wiper moter actually turning. If so check the grommets on the wiper linkage. Could also be a faulty new moter.  If you got a new one.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
that green box , its for delay wipers , its not a relay , it has a dedicated ground wire , look to see that is in place , if it is and you get NO power AT the wiper motor , try a new delay box .

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the grommets are new, and the motor gets power to every terminal except the one that has its own plug, but everything has power all the time and doesn’t change no matter what setting the wipers are on on the motor itself.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
dodge82273 said:
that green box , its for delay wipers , its not a relay , it has a dedicated ground wire , look to see that is in place , if it is and you get NO power AT the wiper motor , try a new delay box .
on a P/C large screen , click the photo I attached , follow the wires from motor to delay box , check the ground , test the power outs from box .. I've added the motors wiring diagram , there IS in the '84 book ( same as yours ) a diagnostic chart for the delay wipers , we cannot supply a 1 word test/repair , you have to diagnose it , we can help with how to do that , if you want the many pages from the book on those wipers , contact member here , Dodgeboys at his Email address , he has the ability to get the factory procedures for testing pages ;D

as I see it , that separate wire on the wiper , goes to the dwell side of the green box , the green box has 1 wire that goes to ground / or should .....

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe I’ve narrowed it down to it being something in the wiper motor itself, with it unplugged and using a test light on each terminal and moving the wiper switch inside the truck it changes the way it should, but if plugged in everything gets power, so I’m going to call exchange it for another new one and see if that is where my problem lies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.