Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid I know but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the freaking wiper arms off the studs on my '78

Anybody...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok not good then because while monkeying around with the drivers side yesterday that tab came out and its now down in the cowl. In either case I guess I had the right idea it might just be that after 20+ years I shouldn't expect them to come off in one piece.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep, that little tab has to move away from the pivot arm.
I just had to remove my cowling, pivot arms and linkage on my 87, because the "4" little elcheapo plastic "clips" that hold the whole linkage fell apart. I went to the dodge parts place to find out that they really liked that part and they charged me 5 bucks a peice for each one. (it was actually 20 bucks for 4 in a plastic bag)
Needless to say, ya do what ya gotta do, and now my wipers work again.
You can get replacement arms in pretty much any auto parts store and they all come with that little clip.
Good luck,
Brett

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Yeah, taking the wiper arms off can be tough sometimes, especially if they've been on there a while.  If we're talking the same thing (the entire arm, not just the blade), since the little spring tab that holds it on to the pivot broke, go to your local junkyard and get a replacement from a late 80's early 90's truck or van.  The retainer setup is different and much better in my opinion.
If we're not talking about the same thing - nevermind.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
brstjkp said:
they charged me 5 bucks a peice for each one. (it was actually 20 bucks for 4 in a plastic bag)
Hate to say it, but ya got ripped. They got them at your local autoparts store a lot cheaper. You know those little red packages marked "HELP!"? Check in there. You might have to buy 2 packages to get all 4 of those plastic bushings that hold all the drive links together, but they're a lot less expensive than the dealer parts and work just as well.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thr "Help" packages  are a lot cheaper.  But now the help packages each contain about four different bushings,  two of each style.  Still cheaper than the stealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Too late now,
already got ripped by the Dodge dealer.
I went into advance auto and auto zone, and both told me they did not have what I needed.
One good thing is the old oned lasted 20 years so maybe the new ones will last as long. They also came with lithium grease in them which will help as well.
Later,
Brett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts