Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I think I have a new topic:
The wipers on my '88 RC stop in the full vertical position instead of the normal horizontal position. The previous owner most likely messed with this, as I found one wire loose when I bought it and it only worked on high in the high setting. I reconnected the wire he'd removed (the one closest to the motor) and now all works right except for the "off" position.
What determines the "off" postion? Is in it in the gearing mechanism? Could this guy have flipped something the wrong way? I can't ask him, he not reachable for some time to come (locked up).
John

·
7,995 Posts
The stop position is determined by a "park switch" inside the wiper motor. When you turn your wiper switch off the wipers continue to cycle to the park postion at the bottom of the windshield and the gearing mechanism inside the motor "opens" the park switch and the wipers stop. You sound like you may have a bad motor...unless the previous rigged the wiring some how? Try www.car-part.com for a used motor or your local auto parts store for a rebuilt motor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chump said:
The stop position is determined by a "park switch" inside the wiper motor. When you turn your wiper switch off the wipers continue to cycle to the park postion at the bottom of the windshield and the gearing mechanism inside the motor "opens" the park switch and the wipers stop. You sound like you may have a bad motor...unless the previous rigged the wiring some how? Try www.car-part.com for a used motor or your local auto parts store for a rebuilt motor.
Chump,
Your info was very helpful, pointed me at something to check:
It looks like the previous owner replaced the wiper motor and reassembled the linkage improperly. I believe that the arm that attaches the the motor gearbox shaft (under grill) is on upside down.
If I determine the problem to be something more interesting, I'll update this topic with the fix.
Thanks!
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts