Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Look for a small metal tab that sticks out near the pivot post.  Hinge the wiper arm up away from the windshield until it stops and then pull that tab away from the arm.  It will slide out to the side and do two things: 1, it will hold the wiper arm bent and 2, it will unlock the part of the tab that hooks under the splines of the wiper pivot.  Then you can slide (or wiggle) the arm off the pivot splines.  Before you pull the arms, make note or even mark the angle of the blade on the windshield with tape so you don't put them back on wrong and have them smacking at one end or the other, getting tangled up, or getting hooked over the A-pillar and breaking something.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
What he said except the tab doesn't always lock wiper in lifted position. Some times they also get a bit stuck on the splines. Toss a towel on the hood, use a small pry bar at very base of arm - around where tab is. Getting any movement will free it up. If doing other work, run and park wiper motor before reinstalling. They always seem to park lower than where you put them, so put them a bit high on 1st re-install.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
jimdgreat1 said:
What am I missing here? Can't get the wiper arms off. Have the manual, I've searched.

Any hints?
Sometimes they stick on the splines. I've had to use a little tool to remove them. Google wiper arm tool, about $10.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
tip , the arm needs to come STRAIGHT off the knerled knob , if you pull on the blade end , it cocks it , so wit 2 hands, pull at 1/2 way to blade , and push on blade end , after you lock it as EWENIL said .

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
there is a 1/2 moon that holds the arm onto the truck , IT has a small "tab" raise the arm off the windshield , move the tab away from the arm , let the arm back , it should not go all the way , means you have "locked" the spring and opened the release lock . ounce you get 1 off look at the thing closely , next time you'll understand better how it works , on a p/c click on photo enlarge it pencil points at tab

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had to edit my picture link. It was after you posted your picture. Thanks. Mine doesn't have that tab. Guessing that's why the manual didn't make sense.

·
Administrator
62,314 Posts
The little tab that holds the arm out, and makes for easy arm removal, only started in the early 80's. Before then, there is a little tab that catches under the spline hub, and must be pried out, while also pulling straight out on the splined section. The wiper arm removal tool helps a ton on those. I have also grabbed that section with a pair of pliers to get it going straight, while prying the little tab with a small screw driver.

The 80's arms will fit on the 70 studs. Whenever I can, I grab the 80's arms, and have replaced all my trucks arms  with 80's arms.

First pic shows the tiny tab on the 70 trucks, I have seen a lot that just had the tabs broke off.

Second pic shows a tool. There are several styles, all work on the same principle, to keep the splined section straight, so it will slide off easily.

Third pic, shows the little tab on the 80's arms, lift the arm from the windshield, and pull the tab out, and it will hold the arm out sot the spring tension will not fight against you. Then you can easily remove the arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
SuperBurban said:
The little tab that holds the arm out, and makes for easy arm removal, only started in the early 80's. Before then, there is a little tab that catches under the spline hub, and must be pried out, while also pulling straight out on the splined section. The wiper arm removal tool helps a ton on those. I have also grabbed that section with a pair of pliers to get it going straight, while prying the little tab with a small screw driver.

The 80's arms will fit on the 70 studs. Whenever I can, I grab the 80's arms, and have replaced all my trucks arms with 80's arms.

First pic shows the tiny tab on the 70 trucks, I have seen a lot that just had the tabs broke off.

Second pic shows a tool. There are several styles, all work on the same principle, to keep the splined section straight, so it will slide off easily.

Third pic, shows the little tab on the 80's arms, lift the arm from the windshield, and pull the tab out, and it will hold the arm out sot the spring tension will not fight against you. Then you can easily remove the arm.
Good tip on the 80's arm.
I'm going to try and find some.

·
Administrator
62,314 Posts
I think these are the ones from a 98 van.

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,314 Posts
It is. they were in my stash from parting outa van I bought for the tranny. I would have to go out and look to see if I left them on, or used the ones from the 86PU I bought for the engine & tranny, which went into that RC. Eventually the axles will also go under it (8 lug 44/60 combo).

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes older ones had NO lock in up provision , and just a small "hook" holding onto knerled knob , newer arms will fit , international even had ones with the squirter nozzle hooked onto the arm , pointing directly AT the windshield 1 inch away , they work well .............  ;D

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
dodge82273 said:
yes older ones had NO lock in up provision , and just a small "hook" holding onto knerled knob , newer arms will fit , international even had ones with the squirter nozzle hooked onto the arm , pointing directly AT the windshield 1 inch away , they work well ............. ;D
Best idea ever. Chrysler cars from mid 70s in to 80s had them. Was actually a few washer jets in one common head mounted to the arm. I think I'm seen them on old Jeep Wagoneers too.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
available brand new at an International truck dealer black plastic piece that just clips onto the flat arm , hose runs to it ...

·
Registered
697 Posts
dodge82273 said:
yes older ones had NO lock in up provision , and just a small "hook" holding onto knerled knob , newer arms will fit , international even had ones with the squirter nozzle hooked onto the arm , pointing directly AT the windshield 1 inch away , they work well ............. ;D
How "new"?? I'd REALLY like a set that allows full pivot up/off the windshield on my '73 and '93.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.