Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question for ya'll. I was looking at my 73 crew cab the other day and noticed the windshield wiper only appears to be a 2 speed. It only appears to have low and high, no delay. Is this truck and what can I do to change that out without damaging the original look too much?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
NOTABLAZER said:
many parts stores carry a delay system you can add on,i know i've seen it at pep boys. i don't knw whats involved in installing it,maybe someone else here can tell you.
I tried two different types of these, and they were both POS's. Not worth the plastic they were made from.

I was able to grab all the delay stuff (switch, delay module, and connectors/wiring) for my 87 from a junkyard rig. If delay wipers were an option for the 70's trucks you may be able to do something similar. (I have the feeling it wasn't offered until the 80's though :( )

-SM

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it was offered in the 80s from the factory because most every 80s model I have seen appears to have them. The only thing I see about trying to install those in my 73 is the control is completely different. The control in the 73 is a knob with 2 positions while the 80s style is a sliding bar with mulitple positions.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just thinking of something else the other day that might work. The later 80s trucks, about 88+, started putting the windshield wipers on the column like all the other brands if I remember correctly. Do you think that might work? I'de swap out the whole column of course.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I was thinking of playing with a time delay relay and a rheostat-if i get it to work-i'll post it in the how-to :)

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was gonna change out the steering column no matter what so it wouldn't be any harder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts