Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This particular one is on an 88 RC. I'm getting all three hots(power on(key), slow and high) to the motor from the turn signal switch(for this year) to the plug at the motor...so I'm thinking all that's good....so I'm thinking motor itself.

With that being said....is the fourth wire(green) a ground? Which I'm reading my old service manual(86) that wire is for park.

So I guess I'm asking if I'm seeing this right or wrong.....or can some explain how park works and if I'm trouble shooting this correctly.

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Not sure how to answer your question but I can tell you that most wiper motor problems are due to a bad ground. The factory ground is a metal strap that runs under one of the mounting bolts.

Add a dedicated ground wire from one of the screws on the motor housing to the firewall. See where you end up after that.

·
Registered
29,715 Posts

Reactions: dodge82273

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
that IS the problem , there is no dedicated ground wire , its mechanical ( the copper between the rubber mount to firewall ) and it fails , install a wire from ground to motor its self .

Reactions: Robbins

·
Registered
201 Posts
Park should have 12v when the wiper switch is off. Key on, wiper switch off, 12v should be sent to park circuit. When the wiper switch is on low or high, 0 volts should be sent to park circuit. There are contacts for the park circuit inside the wiper motor that are closed whenever the wipers are up on the windshield. With the wiper switch on and zero volts to the Park circuit, this does not do anything. Once the wiper switch is turned off and 12v is sent to the park circuit, the wipers will continue to cycle until they reach the bottom of the windshield. At this point the contacts inside wiper motor will open and the wipers will be parked.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Park should have 12v when the wiper switch is off. Key on, wiper switch off, 12v should be sent to park circuit. When the wiper switch is on low or high, 0 volts should be sent to park circuit. There are contacts for the park circuit inside the wiper motor that are closed whenever the wipers are up on the windshield. With the wiper switch on and zero volts to the Park circuit, this does not do anything. Once the wiper switch is turned off and 12v is sent to the park circuit, the wipers will continue to cycle until they reach the bottom of the windshield. At this point the contacts inside wiper motor will open and the wipers will be parked.
Hmmm I don't have 12volt on the park when the switch is off. I also have good continuity from motor itself to the negative side of battery.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everybody for their feedback. I haven't been able to get back on this deal yet.

·
Administrator
60,716 Posts
Ok Looking at the diagram, with the switch in park, blades parked, and the ignition on, The P1 (dark blue) should have power going to the motor. The rest should not have power.

If the blades are not parked (mid stroke), The P2 (Dark green), should have power from the motor to the switch, and the switch low (Brown w/ tracer), should both have power until the blades park.

If the switch is in low, the Low and P1 should both have power.

If the switch is in high, the high (Red/ yellow), and the P1 should both have power.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Nice explanation.
That wiper wiring is some interesting voodoo wiring.
Of course, my '74 is different than a'88-'89.
I'm going to put a 3 speed motor on my truck off an early 70's B body one day.
They fit better with a Six Pack air cleaner.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For whatever reason I have everything but park with key off....and they look like they're parked.
Ok Looking at the diagram, with the switch in park, blades parked, and the ignition on, The P1 (dark blue) should have power going to the motor. The rest should not have power.

If the blades are not parked (mid stroke), The P2 (Dark green), should have power from the motor to the switch, and the switch low (Brown w/ tracer), should both have power until the blades park.

If the switch is in low, the Low and P1 should both have power.

If the switch is in high, the high (Red/ yellow), and the P1 should both have power.

That's what I have, but no park hot at all though.

·
Registered
29,715 Posts
For whatever reason I have everything but park with key off....and they look like they're parked.

That's what I have, but no park hot at all though.
with KO = key off should NOT have any power , as the POWER comes from the ignition switch

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with KO = key off should NOT have any power , as the POWER comes from the ignition switch
Correct....but with key on & switch off there's no park power...but has low and high when I move/twist the switch with key on.

·
Administrator
60,716 Posts
So the dark blue wire at the motor has no power with the key on?

If so, I would start by looking at the back side of the fuse block, and look for the dark blue wire coming off of fuse #26, and check that it is attached. then start tracing the wire from the fuse block, to the wiper motor. Look for it at position #36 in the firewall connector, and check for power.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No...the green one as no power with the switch is off and ignition key on. So with key on and the switch off...the power wire is hot. turn the wiper switch to low the power stays on and the low wire goes hot....switch it high and the power wire and high are hot....but switch the switch off with key on the park wire coming from the truck isn't got...ever.

·
Administrator
60,716 Posts
So the P2, Dark green never gets hot?

Then it is most likely the park contacts inside the motor itself, has gone bad.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok....this is with the wiper motor unplugged. I was checking the to see if I was getting all the signals from the turn signal wiper switch. By the way thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
60,716 Posts
The plug needs to be plugged into the motor for the green wire to get the signal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts