Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what is the current rule of thumb. i always heard that your winch rating should be twice your vehicle weight.

if that's still so, then i would only need a rating of 6500-7000lb as the cherokee only weighs 3100. with the addition of a lift and bigger tires i would say around 3400.

just curious cuz i see all these rockcrawlers w/9500 to 12,000lb winches for a vehicle that probably weighs less than 3000. course, where there winching is understandable.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I always thought the rule of thumb is 1.5 times your GVW, but one thing you need to consider is that the pull rating for a winch changes with the number of layers, usually around 10-12% per layer less. So your 9K lbs winch has around 7.5K lbs pulling power on the third layer. It then makes sense to me for the rockcrawler to have a higher rated winch since they wouldn't need to pull out 100ft of cable to have their max pull rating, but have the rating they need with cable left on the drum.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
you also have to remember that if you are winching yourself out of the mud, or over a big log or rock or something...there will be alot of extra weight that the winch has to pull.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
plus there will be times when you're winching someone else out.. and perhaps just securing yourself off to something solid.
Aaron Wyse

·
5,141 Posts
I would suggest you buy the biggest winch you can afford. I have always thought that if I need the winch I don't want there to be any doubt that it will pull me out. I bought a 12,000 winch for my Trailduster and I will probably buy a bigger one when I can afford it.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i know in a recent issue of petersons or four wheeler there was a big section on winching and how each type of terrian and uphills and downhills and all that good stuff affected it. i think some similar tech is posted over on pirate. personally, i agree with mike when it comes to full size rigs. get the biggest u can afford. being a heep though, i think a 9000 lbs winch would be a plenty.

Duane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts