Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just came across a great deal on a set of tires but not sure how hard it will be to use them
they are the Micky Thompsons 37x13.50x15 they are about 90% thread left i have a 1989 RC that is just used a on a farm no highway driving it is pretty much stock might have been lifted about 2 inchs in its past i have a set of 15x10 wheels just laying around i don't car a bit to cut the fenders it is in rough shape but runs good thanks for you all help

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
You are going to have to cut a lot out of the front and rear wheel openings to fit 37s on a stock truck.  I cut quite a bit out of my front fenders to fit my 35x14.50 Boggers and I have a few inches of lift from my D60 axles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i don't care abit to cut to make these work just really didn't want to try to find a lift this truck is on it last legs as far as  being on the road ever again it has over 250,000 miles on it. it was a goverment truck and i kinda of just lucked in to it have had for about 2 years. there is no wiring that is still good in the cab it is just kinda of rigged to be able to be running.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Over 250,000 isn't necessarily on its last legs. I don't know how much cutting it would take, but it could easily have plenty of life left.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
please don't take it wrong i will never get rid of this RC all i'm saying with out awhole lot of work it will not be road worthy again it is a great farm truck but a daily driver it isn't

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Honestly, I don't know if it's practical to cut that much out of a stock truck to get 37s to fit. This is how much I had to cut out of my '88 to get my 35s to fit with the D60s:

I believe a 37x12.50 would also fit in my wheelwell, at least I hope so since I am switching to surplus HMMWV tires soon. The rear wheelwells will need a bit of cutting to keep from cutting the tread on the 37s. I'm reasonably sure this will work on the street for a little while but I have a set of springs off my old '74 W200 to go on the truck to lift it a bit more to work off road. With a stock truck on 1/2 ton axles, even with this much cutting, I doubt 37s would fit. It may not look like a lot, but this is about as much as you can cut from the stock fenders without completely doing away with the inner fenders and having to deal with the tire hitting the cab at the firewall.

Another issue is the fact that a 37" tire sitting at stock height will probably not turn very well due to the diameter of the tire hitting the frame and will not turn to the right worth a damn since it will hit the pitman arm and draglink. Another problem is that the stock D44 front axle is going to eat front axle joints like candy if you work it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after abit more looking around i came across a very nice set of used 35x12.50s that i just put on tonight and seem to do very well i'm going to have to do alittle clipping but nothing major thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts