Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a rear Dana 60 from a 96 Ram fit My 77 Trailduster?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear.
Long ago I put 4.56 gears in my axials,  my gas mileage dropped to 6 mpg with 33 inch tires. Swapping in D60's with 4.10 gears seems like it would be an economical way to improve the mileage, and top speed, and I can get 37 or 40 inch tires.

Someone has a 96 Ram D60 with 4.10 gears for sale for $200 not far from me.

Steve

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Rear should roughly bolt-in... but ~5" wider overall. Compare axle tube diameters to see if your ubolt plates will work. Some of the later D60s use 3.5" tubes instead of 3". Both should have the ~43" spring spacing. Pinion length on a D60 is longer than the 8.25/9.25" diffs. (Can be countered with some lift).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you.  So, the extra width may be a problem.  I assume that a front D60 from a 96 would use coil springs, so if I want matching width, the 96 axial would not be a good idea.
When did front leaf springs go away on Dodge trucks? 

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
1993 was the last year for front leaf springs.  Keep in mind that the '94 and up trucks also use a driver side drop front axle, so the NP203 in your '77 would output to the wrong side.  The '94 and up D60 fronts are also CAD axles, they use weaker unit bearings and have ball joints in stead of kingpins.  Overall a weaker design when compared to the '75-'93 Dodge D60 front.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
AzTrailduster said:
So, the extra width may be a problem.
Doesn't have to be...

1.5" or 2" spacers in the front, and the later wheels (more backspacing) will balance it all out.

Or just not care about the width difference... that's where I got to running a 2ndgen axle on my w250.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. That's some good information to think about.  I was planning on a 4 inch lift, so that may help with drive shaft length. I will have to buy wheels, so the appropriate offset can be ordered.  I assume that if the u joints are different at the pinion, an adaptor u joint can be ordered. It will be a while before I would install the axial. I just want to start collecting parts when I find a good deal. Is $200 a good price for a rear D60?  And anyone know what they weigh? I will have to find a way to get it in to my M101 trailer, about 4 foot lift.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I personally would not give $200 for a BR series rear D60.  I can usually find D/W D60s for $75-$100 around here.  The only way I would pay $200 is if it had a locker of some sort, recently rebuilt or maybe was a disc brake 14 bolt.  As a used axle, it's just a core so I would only pay core prices.  Just my .02

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, If it's not a great price, I will wait until I find a 93 or earlier that would be a better fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.