Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a truck with a higher mileage '91 360 TBI that seems to run fine which I am thinking of swapping in a '79 Ramcharger. I also have a real low mileage 360 Magnum less intake, fuel injection, and accesories. It has been sitting for a long time so I was thinking of maybe having the Magnum zero balanced, with new rings, and bearings for the swap.

The '91 TBI setup should work if I get a 4bbl intake and the TBI adaptor for the Magnum right. Then I will just knock the weights off my old 360 convertor and bolt everything from the old 360 on it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought about that and would probably buy one of the Eddy EFI replacement manifolds for that improvement. Problem is me and a computer controller are like oil and water. Maybe it is not that bad but it is uncharted territory.

It was my understanding everything under the dash would need swapping when going stock Magnum too not just the PCM and engine harness. Is that right? I know the fuel pump runs higher pressure.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
79Rammer said:
It was my understanding everything under the dash would need swapping when going stock Magnum too not just the PCM and engine harness. Is that right? I know the fuel pump runs higher pressure.
I have no idea why? A pre 96 magnum engine is "dumb" as in pretty much only controls the engine and overdrive. Only thing on dash it needs is a check engine bulb and a way for you to handle speedo. TBI or mag either one, same basic strategy.

As for the fuel pump, I believe it is Elwenil that pointed out 91/92 TBI engines use a "magnum" or mpfi fuel pump capable of the required 45psi of mpfi engines. Since that is too much for tbi, the regulator just returns excess back to the tank. Same part number for 91 tbi vs 92 magnum allegedly.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Keep in mind if you are planning on balancing the 360 internally, you are going to pay out the nose since it requires mallory metal to balance it and that's not cheap.  It would probably be a lot easier to just get one of the Magnum 360 balanced flexplates and knock the LA 360 weights off the converter and let it ride.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
I have no idea why? A pre 96 magnum engine is "dumb" as in pretty much only controls the engine and overdrive. Only thing on dash it needs is a check engine bulb and a way for you to handle speedo. TBI or mag either one, same basic strategy.

As for the fuel pump, I believe it is Elwenil that pointed out 91/92 TBI engines use a "magnum" or mpfi fuel pump capable of the required 45psi of mpfi engines. Since that is too much for tbi, the regulator just returns excess back to the tank. Same part number for 91 tbi vs 92 magnum allegedly.
I don't either. When the question comes up I always here grab everything you can. If I could get a donor Magnum engine harness, fuel rails, injectors, and PCM to work with my '91 dash harness this is a no brainer.

There must be some good pressure with the '91 fuel pump because there is a leak back by the tank spraying everywhere.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elwenil said:
Keep in mind if you are planning on balancing the 360 internally, you are going to pay out the nose since it requires mallory metal to balance it and that's not cheap. It would probably be a lot easier to just get one of the Magnum 360 balanced flexplates and knock the LA 360 weights off the converter and let it ride.
Good point, do you need a 360 balancer on the front too or is that the same as the 318 Magnum?

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Each engine with an "odd" balance requires it's own balance at both ends.  Since the weight of the crank cannot be balanced by itself, it must have offset weight at both ends to balance it.  So you will need a Magnum 360 specific harmonic balancer and also some method of balancing it at the converter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Elwenil said:
Each engine with an "odd" balance requires it's own balance at both ends. Since the weight of the crank cannot be balanced by itself, it must have offset weight at both ends to balance it. So you will need a Magnum 360 specific harmonic balancer and also some method of balancing it at the converter.
That is what I thought. Maybe I can source a used one because new from the dealer they are $$$$.

There might be an aftermarket one out now too that would work.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The stock one probably has the serpentine belt pulley made onto it so the dealer probably can't help you anyway unless you are going to run the serpentine belt setup.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elwenil said:
The stock one probably has the serpentine belt pulley made onto it so the dealer probably can't help you anyway unless you are going to run the serpentine belt setup.
I would like to run the serpentine setup if going Magnum injection. Otherwise it would be easier to stay V belt if going TBI.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after getting the 360 TBI warmed up and running at temp she smokes steady. Looks like the Magnum engine will be called to duty after sitting in my shop since 1996.

TBI or hunt some Magnum hardware.

On a good note the tranny shifts good, 4wd works, and even the A/C blows cold in the donor. :eek:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
i'm doing this too eventually. been sitting on a new magnum 5.9 longblock for a few years now(was to go in a previous project that is gone). i have a barrel intake and t-body, harness  and ecm. but i'm going carbed(bought a M1 dp off ebay for $150) at first while i sort the computer.

thinking of going megasquirt instead of factory. the son of a tech/hot rodder friend of mine has built several MS systems.  i have a Hughes cam and plan to run headers, so i'm not sure about the factory ecm handling that. would love to run mass air flow but not sure i can make that work. not with a factory intake/t-body.

all of that could go by the wayside if i found a 4bt.  ;D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
blueduster said:
i'm doing this too eventually. been sitting on a new magnum 5.9 longblock for a few years now(was to go in a previous project that is gone). i have a barrel intake and t-body, harness and ecm. but i'm going carbed(bought a M1 dp off ebay for $150) at first while i sort the computer.

thinking of going megasquirt instead of factory. the son of a tech/hot rodder friend of mine has built several MS systems. i have a Hughes cam and plan to run headers, so i'm not sure about the factory ecm handling that. would love to run mass air flow but not sure i can make that work. not with a factory intake/t-body.

all of that could go by the wayside if i found a 4bt. ;D
I just sent my 4BT down the road from a Jeep project I gave up on. Now my Rammer will get some attention.

Kinda sucks as I wanted to just drop the 360 TBI in and go. :(

I have a '91 Cummins that would be a great donor but I don't think I have the heart to cut it up.

Then there is a low mile 440 sitting in my old club cab too. Maybe that would work with the A518 and a Ultrabell adaptor.

To many things to think about. :p

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
so why didn't you concider the 4bt for your dodge? was it the 4bt or the jeep you gave up on? just curious.
79Rammer said:
I just sent my 4BT down the road from a Jeep project I gave up on. Now my Rammer will get some attention.

Kinda sucks as I wanted to just drop the 360 TBI in and go. :(

I have a '91 Cummins that would be a great donor but I don't think I have the heart to cut it up.

Then there is a low mile 440 sitting in my old club cab too. Maybe that would work with the A518 and a Ultrabell adaptor.

To many things to think about. :p

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
blueduster said:
i'm doing this too eventually. been sitting on a new magnum 5.9 longblock for a few years now(was to go in a previous project that is gone). i have a barrel intake and t-body, harness and ecm. but i'm going carbed(bought a M1 dp off ebay for $150) at first while i sort the computer.

thinking of going megasquirt instead of factory. the son of a tech/hot rodder friend of mine has built several MS systems. i have a Hughes cam and plan to run headers, so i'm not sure about the factory ecm handling that. would love to run mass air flow but not sure i can make that work. not with a factory intake/t-body.
It will work. MS can handle a MAF sensor of your choice, although it is recommended to use the ford ones since they have the most published transfer sheets (__ cfm=___volts)

The ferd MAF would be easy to use on a mag throttle body as long as you used a "air hat" that goes from 5 1/8" air cleaner flange to standard 3-4" round tubing. Similar to those used by 94-02 mag engines. Once you have converted to small tubing you can clamp your MAF to pipe and add favorite cone air filter or air box or snorkel.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
blueduster said:
so why didn't you concider the 4bt for your dodge? was it the 4bt or the jeep you gave up on? just curious.
A little of both. The Jeep Cherokee needed a lot more mods to take the 4BT than I thought. Also, the Cherokee needed a lot of work to be nice and I didn't have the ambition to do it. The Rammer is different.

I figured that if I went diesel in the Ramcharger it would be a complete 6bt drop in from a donor truck. No motor mount fabbing or difficult areas with dropping it in to the Rammer frame.

Selling the 4BT and Jeep are going to fund most, if not all, of my Ramcharger rebirth. (It's also a sentimental thing as the Rammer has been in the family since new.)

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
If I ever do a diesel swap, it will probably be with a 4BT.  I think a 6BT in a Ramcharger is overkill since you can't really tow that much with one safely.  A 4BT is about the ideal power output for a Ramcharger trail rig with appropriate gearing.  The only major issue is that you can usually buy a complete 6BT equipped Dodge truck for not much more than what a good used 4BT goes for.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I followed the 4BT swaps for quite a while. The bad thing is you basically get a short block. Everyone seems to add 6BT components like manifolds, turbos, injectors, ect.  After doing all this they might achieve a little more than a stock 89-93 VE pumped 6bt engine. Then you will need a Dodge vacuum pump assembly or hydroboost to get the brakes to work. You probably will need all the Dodge 6bt accessories on front to work in a Ramcharger too. Then there is the tranny issue and custom motor mounts.

Just a lot of work and costs to consider when going that route for a small gain in mpg.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
not to be a jerk but your assumptions are way off. 500lb wieght difference for starters. you have to use all that stuff with either engine so that's a mute point. and lastly, i have ridden in a 78 bronco with a 4bt, nv4500, 35" tires and 4.10/4.11s. he started out getting 24 mpg. then 27 after a new turbo/manifold(refabbed banks stuff). now he gets 31mpg when using small % of propane. that is huge.
79Rammer said:
I followed the 4BT swaps for quite a while. The bad thing is you basically get a short block. Everyone seems to add 6BT components like manifolds, turbos, injectors, ect. After doing all this they might achieve a little more than a stock 89-93 VE pumped 6bt engine. Then you will need a Dodge vacuum pump assembly or hydroboost to get the brakes to work. You probably will need all the Dodge 6bt accessories on front to work in a Ramcharger too. Then there is the tranny issue and custom motor mounts.

Just a lot of work and costs to consider when going that route for a small gain in mpg.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts