Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 r/c with a 208 t/case and was wondering if a 231 will fit. if so what if any mods will i need to do and will it be a direct swap linkage and all. heck. i'm getting the 231 for free but i really need one in the ramcharger. any info will be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Are you sure it is a 231 and not a 241?  I can't recall ever seeing a 231 with a passenger side front output.  231s are found mostly in "newer" Jeeps - YJs, XJs, TJs etc.  You most likely are getting a 241 if it is a Dodge T/C and has a passenger side front output.  Check the round tag on the back side of it to confirm.  If it is a 241 with correct front output it will fit in place of a 208.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
And make sure it's not just an upside down Jeep NP231.  Either way I personally would not use a 231 in a vehicle as heavy as a Ramcharger.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thats kinda what i was thinking,it came out of a jeep. i knew a 241 would fit but was'nt sure about the 231. i know some of the tj's have a driver side drop 241, what truck would i need to find to get a pass. side drop 241? anyhow i hove not seen the 231 in question yet but i will ride over and look next week after we get back from vacation, may just get it anyway cause it's free,

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
NP208s can be found in most '80-'87 fullsize Dodge 4WD trucks and Ramchargers.  NP241s can be found in most '88-'93 fullsize Dodge 4WD trucks and Ramchargers with gasoline engines.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, should'nt be to difficult to find one then

·
7,250 Posts
I don't know what all a 231 came in but my 97 Dakota has one. I doubt it is stout enough for any full size.

Chris

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
231 is roughly equivalent to a 208 with better low range. Chain dimension and pinion count should be about the same. 4 pinion planetaries.

Of course the 241 is beefier than either, but from a strength standpoint, if a 208 is strong enough, so is a 231. As kendall mentioned, they were used in hundreds of thousands of 1/2 tons, and perhaps a few 3/4 tons? As a matter of fact, it is quite reasonable to say more 231s have been installed in fullsize dodges (post-71) than any other transfer case...

As others have mentioned, the drop is "wrong side" so none of this matters.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i ran over and took a look on the way home and indeed the output is on the wrong side,oh well i'll just find a 241 to go back with and keep on truckin. thanks for all the info, it was all helpful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.