Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Called no less than 10 stores today and found one that had the o-ring for the dipstick tube in stock. A fair amount of fluid had already leaked out while it was sitting for the last week so I jacked up the front passenger wheel to give myself some space and also to tilt the remaining fluid away from the dipstick tube. That was a miscalculation! I bet at least 2 quarts still ran out and I didn't have my drain pan close by! Fortunately it didn't get all over me but it sure did spread across the floor fast! Swapped out the o-ring and got it reinstalled and everything cleaned up. Took it for a spin and so far, no leaks. We'll see if it's clean in the morning... fingers crossed.
Eric

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No leaks, got the tranny fluids topped off and that seems to be fixed. Rebuilt the stock holley 2brl carb this morning. It didn't appear to be horrible but I got it reinstalled and dialed in to the best of my ability and it's running better. Still just won't hold power on hills etc. I got to wondering if my kickdown may need adjusted. It doesn't shift horrible but going in to 3rd it wants me to let off slightly before shifting. I'll try to sort that out tomorrow.
Eric

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,692 Posts
Nice! Did you check the carb for any play in the throttle shaft? You're right, it sounds like a kickdown adjustment.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Throttle shaft seemed pretty snug. I had that problem on another vehicle in the past so I definitely checked that lol! Lessons learned

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,692 Posts
Good. If a throttle shaft is not worn then most carbs will respond well to a rebuild but if the throttle shaft is worn then it wont matter how many times you try to put a rebuild kit the carb as it still wont run worth shat.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had to take the driver door panel off to replace a linkage clip. Got it done. It had never been of before which was cool. I hate the door clips though, only about half of them would go back on.
Eric

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
805 Posts
I had to take the driver door panel off to replace a linkage clip. Got it done. It had never been of before which was cool. I hate the door clips though, only about half of them would go back on.
Eric
They are a PITA. I’d like to buy some new clips if I knew where. I did some research a while back but apparently there’s a few different sizes.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I’d like to buy some new clips if I knew where. I did some research a while back but apparently there’s a few different sizes.
They are available online lmc, eBay and some other sites.
Show me which you need and I'll post a link.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My seat was damaged from the sun and I bought a saddle blanket seat cover because I like them and they take me back to the good old days. as usual, stuff isn't made as well and although it fit okay on the bottom, the top just had cheap elastic stretchy stuff that was supposed to fit over the back of the seat to hold it on. It would just move around and sag every time somebody sat on it. I decided to buy a second one so that I could use the bottom part of the cover on the top part of the seat. I was able to tuck the excess in the Crack between the top and bottom and it all worked perfectly. Had 80 bucks in the whole think so I'm happy with the results.
Eric Motor vehicle Vehicle Window Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I had a saddle blanket seat cover on my 85, lasted forever. It started to fray last year so I bought a new one, didn't last 6 months.

·
6,692 Posts
I have the exact same cover only with the black accents instead of the blue. Mine lasted 10 years and is now starting to frey where it meets the nylon panel along the bottom on the end on the drivers side. I might try to sew it becasuse the rest of it is still pretty good.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah, I like these covers if they hold up even half as good as they used to. Used the truck to haul a load of mulch and landscaping stuff yesterday. Did great other than it still doesn't have any power and gets horrible gas mileage.i just don't have the carb tuned in I guess

·
6,692 Posts
Carb and timing probably. Do you live near a race track? If so, go to the track one night and ask someone who races there if they know anybody that can tune a carburetor. Thats where all the old school mechanics hang out.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Got it dialed in, it was a timing/carb issue. Now she's running like a raped ape. Next on the list is getting the ac going. It's r12 so I guess I'm gonna have to figure out how to convert it to 134 unless you guys can think of a better option.
Eric

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It's nice having this thing pull hills like no big deal. I also think I'm going to level the back with the front. I'm not a fan of 3" rake. Trying to decide if I should leave the front alone and just lower the back a couple inches or use van lca's to lower the front a couple inches and then bring down the rear accordingly. I've never had a 2wd vehicle so it's funny to even consider having something that sits low. Either way I'll probably add air shocks to keep it level when hauling stuff.
Eric

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
It's nice having this thing pull hills like no big deal. I also think I'm going to level the back with the front. I'm not a fan of 3" rake. Trying to decide if I should leave the front alone and just lower the back a couple inches or use van lca's to lower the front a couple inches and then bring down the rear accordingly. I've never had a 2wd vehicle so it's funny to even consider having something that sits low. Either way I'll probably add air shocks to keep it level when hauling stuff.
Eric
These are not cheap, but you don't have to modify your truck to drop it 3".

·
Registered
716 Posts
Eric,

Could you post the link where you got the saddle seat cover. I am interested in putting one (actually 2) in my 4WD to cover the whole seat.

Thanks,

Neil

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Neil
Sent you a message with the link, I just purchased from Amazon.
Eric

Reactions: neil4224
21 - 40 of 78 Posts