Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the wife has been bugging me about getting something she can haul her goats and all the stuff that goes with them, as well as my son's dirtbike when I'm at work. My crewcab is way too high and just a big truck for her to handle and it is a 5 speed which she can drive but doesn't want to. I've been looking for a dakota or something relatively cheap that's auto and stock height. I came across this gem just down the road. Still titled to the original owner and 68,500 miles. Wheel Tire Car Window Automotive parking light
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got it for a great price so I drove it home. It hasn't been driven on the road since 2014 but it starts right up. It needs a complete tuneup. Transmission pan is dripping. Tires are like new but dry and have flat spots. She wanted the cap and steps off so we worked on it together and washed it up. This morning it got an oil change and fluids checked. Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Sky
Automotive parking light Car Sky Tire Wheel

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One small rust hole on driver rear, obvious patina, and super clean underneath. Need a seat cover because of sun damage.
Eric

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,683 Posts
It's called a Texas sun burn 👍

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I truly admire your wife!

I can't imagine my wife daily driving a pick up truck o_O

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's pretty proud of it! Drove it today and got the title taken care of etc. It's definitely going to need going over. Put about 60 miles on it and it cruises down the road okay but it literally can't get out of its own way. Don't know if I have a vacuum leak or something like that or if it just needs the carb rebuilt. It does idle a little low and rough. Haven't got the new plugs in it yet but I don't think that will solve the issue. Pulled out the carpet to clean it. Floors have nearly no rust! That's unheard of in the rust belt.
Eric

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
A beautiful wife deserves a beutiful truck. She looks proud and happy!

Are you going to fix the rust on the rear?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, She's quite the catch! Beautiful and wants to drive one of these old dodge trucks. That's pretty much perfect for me!
Think I'll do the best I can without a full paint job. My intent is to fix the small hole and maybe just attempt to "match" the patina of the rest of the truck on that rear fender. I guess we'll see what is possible, I don't mind a little character wear and tear but I wouldn't mind getting that rear panel more in line with the look of the rest of the truck.
Eric

Reactions: neil4224

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any recommendations on a seat cover would be great

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My wife drives a Lincoln & is allergic to grass. :cautious:

For hauling goats I wouldn't change a thing cosmetically.

Bucky

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
345 Posts
Leave it a bit rough, so you don't freak out when the inevitable damage from being used as a truck happens.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the windows cleaned up and reinstalled the carpet. I pulled all the jute off the back because it causes so much rust from holding water. I found one vacuum line that was a little cracked but that didn't help the way it ran. Still struggles up hills and tops out about 60. Idles low and rough, sometimes shutting off. I'm guessing the carb will have to come off but I'm not really familiar with the holley 2280 that is on it. I'll be learning soon so if you have any advice, I'm all ears.
Eric

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got some quality time with my middle son. He's got a race tomorrow so we got his bike ready. He's doing more and more of it on his own, it's fun to watch. Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plugs and wires, fuel filter, oil change, transmission filter fluid and gasket, headlights and a few other small things completed. I have a rebuild kit for the carb but didn't have time for it. Drove it about 60 miles this evening. It cruises up the road nice, just takes forever to get up to speed. Next step, carb.
Eric

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still had a transmission leak, so I looked a little closer and realized that it appears to be leaking from the seal around the dipstick tube. Wish I would have noticed that first lol.
Eric

1 - 20 of 78 Posts