Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my oil pump over the weekend while finally being able to replace the rear main seal. I bought a new high volume oil pump and took the pick up screen off of the old one and went to put it on the new one stuff begain falling out. Little plastic chunks fell out of the pick up screen so I shook all of it out and there was quite a bit that came out. The plastic pieces, some were black and some where white and were pretty decent in size. Sorry no pics, any ideas what this could be from?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
sounds like teeth from the nylon timing gears. has the timing set been replaced? --sheriff--

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it has not, is that an indicator that it should be?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Black chunks may be the rubber valve stem seals. All hardened, broken up and washed into the pan.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I would think that it is also those valve seals. I have replaced them a couple of years ago and they just clumbled, some were already missing parts of the skirt.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Replace your timing gears, now! Ha! I have an immobile '69 Charger due to this. The cam drive is a nylon (yes that is not typo) ring gear pressed onto a light metal disc. The nylon will be yellow to orange in color when cleaned of all crud.

You can check you timing by hooking up a timing light and watch yout timing mark. If it is moving around a few degrees, your chain is wearing out and is probably missing teeth. It can jump a tooth on the crankshaft sprocket from the slack, screwing up your timing and making your engine run bad.

The sets (double roller only) can be had for less than 50 bucks. add about 20 bucks for new seals and gaskets (front timing case, water pump, fuel pump, and front crank seal. Oh yeah will need some new coolant.

Good luck

Chris

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
440Ramcharger said:
Black chunks may be the rubber valve stem seals. All hardened, broken up and washed into the pan.
It doesn't burn any oil tho, it used to off and on, but I changed the pcv valve and the last time I checked it(few months ago and it has only been started a couple of times), the exhaust color and odor was fine.

I'll have to look more closely at the chunks tomorrow morning. Would it run bad if those nylon teeth broke off? Its no 440, but it is a strong running 318 with only 80k on it. I'll check the timing stuff, I was gonna pull the timing cover off anyways to replace the front crank seal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts