Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched here and BING and found lots of posts about valve covers and MOPAR Performance Valve Covers but I did not see any posts that explained why performance valve covers are desireable.

Do they improve performance? Or do they improve the look of the engine?

I'll probably put these on my wish list but way down the priority.

Thanks

Clueless Bill

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,716 Posts
#1 reason they are more solid and don't bend. So once they are on you have less chance of leaks.  ;)

#2 they will help a VERY small bit in cooling the engine since they are alum and have fins.  :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense!

Maybe I can get away with shaping some aluminum foil into fin shapes and glueing them to my stock covers.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,249 Posts
mopar65pa said:
#1 reason they are more solid and don't bend. So once they are on you have less chance of leaks. ;)

#2 they will help a VERY small bit in cooling the engine since they are alum and have fins. :-\
#3 they look awesome, especially the old M/T Valve Covers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
Unclebull said:
That makes sense!

Maybe I can get away with shaping some aluminum foil into fin shapes and glueing them to my stock covers.
The glue will actually slow heat transfer, so you will have to work with molten steel. Hell, why not make your own castings, that way you can recycle!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,716 Posts
ChrisKD said:
#3 they look awesome, especially the old M/T Valve Covers
yes but he said that so I didn't feel it was needed to be said again. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,924 Posts
ChrisKD said:
#3 they look awesome, especially the old M/T Valve Covers
That is what I have ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,249 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
That is what I have ;D
I've got a set on my '68 440 Magnum, need to (eventually) get a set for the 340 in my Duster 8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,598 Posts
There are some potential downsides. A big one is they do not provide for sufficient external lubrication. This may cause engine block/transmission/frame corrosion.

I also don't think they will clear my brake booster even with the body lift.  ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,249 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
There are some potential downsides. A big one is they do not provide for sufficient external lubrication. This may cause engine block/transmission/frame corrosion.

I also don't think they will clear my brake booster even with the body lift. ::)
They will clear joe, check out Hybrid's thread ;) Also my dad had a set of M/T's on the 440 that was in his W300 Dumptruck (factory 440/435 truck) with no body lift ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,716 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
That is what I have ;D
these are going on the 340 duster motor. ;)
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
29,559 Posts
Another consideration not yet posted is that many of the aftermarket aluminum valve covers are a bit taller to clear some of the larger adjustable rocker arm assemblies which will hit the inside of the stock covers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SeahawkDodge said:
The glue will actually slow heat transfer, so you will have to work with molten steel. Hell, why not make your own castings, that way you can recycle!
They do look good, I do admit that.

And I do have some aluminum cans, some sand and casting wax, all I gotta do is carve it in wax, surround it with the sand, melt the cans and Bob's Your Uncle and I have fancy home made valve covers!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,598 Posts
Elwenil said:
Another consideration not yet posted is that many of the aftermarket aluminum valve covers are a bit taller to clear some of the larger adjustable rocker arm assemblies which will hit the inside of the stock covers.
I haven't done any measuring, but heard the internal measurements are actually tighter and may require a little creative grinding for some with wild valve trains?

I don't think that is a dodge complaint though.

Asymetric does back yard aluminum casting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,716 Posts
Elwenil said:
Another consideration not yet posted is that many of the aftermarket aluminum valve covers are a bit taller to clear some of the larger adjustable rocker arm assemblies which will hit the inside of the stock covers.
Who uses adjustable rockers? ??? :p ;D

Unclebull said:
They do look good, I do admit that.

And I do have some aluminum cans, some sand and casting wax, all I gotta do is carve it in wax, surround it with the sand, melt the cans and Bob's Your Uncle and I have fancy home made valve covers!!
LOL.... there you go. ;D
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
29,540 Posts
For me, the only reasons I use them is better sealing and not having to straighten the warped flanges everytime I remove them.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
11,515 Posts
Joe
Go HYDRO boost that way you don't have clearance problems. I'm going to do that on my 440 rc because I don't like pulling the booster to pull a valve cover.
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KThaxton said:
For me, the only reasons I use them is better sealing and not having to straighten the warped flanges everytime I remove them.
If I can prolong this just a little longer, why would I as a neophyte wrench turner need to remove my valve covers?

I would imagine if I was doing something to the cam or pistons or lifters or any combination then the covers would need to come off and this would probably be a good time to upgrade better valve covers.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top