Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now I'm of course brand new to Ramcharger scene, so I don't know the norm. When I bought the truck and test drove it, at certain speeds, the dash would shake and rattle allot. I just assumed this was because I had a little donut wheel in the back which would spin faster then the full sized 33" that was on the other side. Now I have the truck back from the repair shop with the new tires on and I still seem to get a lot of vibration in the dash. Is this normal, or should I check for some kind of problem?

Also, I tested out 4WD, which engaged with no problem, but, what I can only assume is the transfer case, seems to make a whiring sound while moving. Is this also normal? I think I might change all the fluids, maybe get the tranny power flushed also just because I don't know when any of it may have last been done.

·
Registered
30,144 Posts
the shaking could be a ujoint/ or the rear end aint shimed right if its lifted / what kind of tires are you running / BOGGERS will rattle yer teeth out

the t-case will only whine when in 4x4

do me a favor and fill out yer SIG that shows at the bottom of yer posts so we know what you have for a truck / check other members sigs to get and idea / you will get better answers

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
New tires--I will assume they balanced them too....

Check your u-joints. Could also be alignment--which you should have done any time you get new tires anyway.

-SM

·
Registered
104 Posts
You said that you might get the tranny power flushed. I've heard that it isn't a good idea to do this to a tranny with a lot of miles on it. Power flushing it might cause you to need a rebuild waaaay sooner than not. But I'm not 100% sure about this. That's just what I've heard. You should get opinions from other members.

I just changed the fluid & filter when I got my RC. The fluid looked brand new but I changed it anyway. I wanted to be sure. It's a good thing because the filter was filthy.

Gonzo

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was tols by the mechanic I've been working with that if you don't know how old the fluid is, either don't change it or powerflush it. If you just drain it and put a new filter in, the larger metal shaving and such that was suspended in the old fluid will be washed right into your new filter and the whole thing will stop working in under a couple thousand miles. A good powerflush should push all that crud out. Anyone else have an oppinion / suggestion?

As far as my problem is concerned, supposedly the u joints on the axle were just replaced, unless someone did it wrong. I think the yoke was repalced too, but not sure. What is this I've heard about weights on the drive shaft or something? Is this something I have to check?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i had really nasty vibes at 35-70 when i had the swampers on my dakota... i hated em.. only had like 10k on em and they were trashed. when i switched to all terains i got rid of the vibes and got better tires to boot. if this is your daily you WILL regret gettin swampers. also i have worked in tire shops and even 36s aren't that hard to balance. either you got a tech that didn't know what he was doing or you may have a tweaked rim. my wheels took 6 ounces originally but when i went and had em REbalanced they took less tahn 2. so it could be tires, could be a tweeked wheel, could be bad shocks... never can tell

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it sounds like if I'm not using it as a daily driver (which I'm not) and not routinely driving it long distances (which I don't) I can let it go for a while. Thanks everyone, I now have some things to check when I get to troubleshoot this futher. Other things I need to fix for now though... Oi! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts