Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Who has played with their Cummins....

6K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  BIGDIG 
#1 ·
....and what have you done so far?

What modifications, what combo, by whom and how do you like it?

Anyone running the auto tranny and have upgraded power issues

Not looking for this manufacturer is better kind of posts.....just why you choose them.

#2 ·
So far I have added the MBRP 4" stainless dual exhaust, the AFE air filter kit and the small Edge EZ computer. I am being limited to 130HP at the wheels because of possible issues with the automatic tranny. This still doesn't compare to the towing capability of my 92 12 valve...which was bone stock......but the dually sounds good now!! :)

#4 ·
on the 85 i slid the fuel plate and afc housing all the way forward just to try it out. it made a huge difference. i also have a four inch straight system,

the 98 has the small ez computer map and straight pipe and is pretty quick like it is.

#7 ·
I hadn't done anything to the engine yet. I'm still working on getting it running and buying the tires.

My future plans will include increasing power, but thats next years budget.

Because I'm starting with an 89 block, I have to get a few things that most Cummins already have. An intercooler will be added, I will be changing the turbo housing to the smaller 16cm housing. A 4 inch exaust is also planned. I will be adding larger injectors and I'll turn up the pump. My hope however is to replace the old VE pump for the P-pump which will really wake up the engine, but it's not cheap and requires a new timing gear for the swap, but the power increases can be enormous.

Ed

#12 ·
Be carefull doing the pump. Too much is not good. I'll send you a link, Olly, for the guy I use up here. He has some information on his site.

Have you corrected the KDP on yours? ( Killer Dowel Pin )

#14 ·
kyot said:
Be carefull doing the pump. Too much is not good. I'll send you a link, Olly, for the guy I use up here. He has some information on his site.

Send me the link when you get a chance! NO I never corrected the KDP. Could you explain it.

Olly

#15 ·
I thought I sent it...I'll try again. The KDP is explained fairly well on the site.

#16 ·
kyot said:

I havn't done the KDP on mine. The guy from Prince Performance Diesels says that he's never seen one go in a 1st gen. I don't know why that is considering it's pretty identical to the 2nd gen.

#17 ·
I had over 400,000 on my 92 and it never had the upgrade. That one was all stock.....maybe that has something to do with it?

#22 ·
To a certain extent.....if you go completely wild mielage will drop....but if you are going that far, fuel mileage isn't a factor!!

#23 ·
Played with and still playing...........
2002 24valve HO 6spd
DDIII injectors
EZ Edge box
AFE Mega cannon air filter
Ceramic clutch
PAC Brake exhaust brake
Boost,EGT temp,fuel pressure guages
and more

#25 ·
CCD250 said:
What does it mean to turn up the pump? And also does it help MPG
Over the years, the Cummins came equipped with three different fuel delivery pumps. The old VE pump can be turned up with a turn of the screwdriver, unfortunately you also tend to make more smoke and you're limited to how much power you can make.

P7100 pumps have a few adjustments as well, and you can change torque plates.

VP44 pumps are electronically controlled and simply require a computer chip, some being adjustable from the driver's seat.

Ed

#26 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
hey BIGDIG, welcome to the site! What kinda mileage are you getting with that setup?
Depends on what I'm haulin or if I'm haulin ;DI can carry 105ga of fuel,65ga main tank,40ga in the bed.cant give you any numbers really since I travel both highway and back roads throughout the day,but I did make it home from Virginia Beach last weekend up to Boston on about 50ga.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.