Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 400 - 2bl I'm getting prepped to put in my truck and I notice it has an exhaust bolt snapped off (& appears to be welded in) on one of the heads. The question I have is 1.) Should I have it repaired at the machine shop or 2.) Use a set of heads off of a 64 413 - 4bl that i have? I'm planning on having whichever head set I use checked out by a machine shop and I will be runnning a Edelbrock 4bl on the truck. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
MtMopar said:
I have a 72 400 - 2bl I'm getting prepped to put in my truck and I notice it has an exhaust bolt snapped off (& appears to be welded in) on one of the heads. The question I have is 1.) Should I have it repaired at the machine shop or 2.) Use a set of heads off of a 64 413 - 4bl that i have? I'm planning on having whichever head set I use checked out by a machine shop and I will be runnning a Edelbrock 4bl on the truck. Thanks for any advice.
the main problem you will run into using the 64 413 heads is you will need hardened valve seats installed

may be cheaper to have the machine shop redrill and tap that bolt hole on your original heads than to have the seats installed on the others

what are the casting numbers from the 2 sets of heads?

eric

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Didn't the real old big blocks have like 4 bolt valve covers?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yes they did

1 - 4 of 4 Posts