Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1982 4 barrel 318 V8

I need a new carbureter. Anybody have any suggestions as to what carb would make the easiest replacement? Reliability and compatibility are the two things i care about most. Im not wheeling hardcore or anything so i dont need anything crazy. I just want easiest possible replacemnt without having to mess with and retrofit the linkage and vaccum lines...

Oh, and i dont want to spend lots of $$$

thank you

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Your choice but dont exceed 600cfm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you think im better off getting some aftermarket Holley? or just some OEM replacement from a parts dealer

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Dont quote me but a "good" OEM replacement may be hard to get your hands on. Quadrajets are notorious for being really good if you are lucky enough to get a good one and REALLY bad if you get the typical. Edelbrock's tend to be quite simple and easy to tune/modify if needed. Haven't heard to many bad things about Holley's either so its kinda a personal preference. I have a Edelbrock performer on my 360 but it came with the motor, I found after some tweaking it runs rather well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
had a holley 600 on my d150, gained about 30 hp and 2 mpg between that and a eddy performer intake.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did your holley 600 fit your linkage and choke stuff without a problem? did you have to get any new linkage or hardware?

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
If you're looking for decent fuel economy, make sure you get a "spread bore" pattern carb.  Those use smaller primaries for economy and larger secondaries when you want more power.  Many of the Holleys are "square bore" - all the same size and are not as good for mileage.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
etprime said:
is that VA beach or ONX in your backround
Thats OBX from our NC/VA beach run a few years back. I would have gotten some new bracelets if that was Va Beach.

ToxicDoc said:
If you're looking for decent fuel economy, make sure you get a "spread bore" pattern carb. Those use smaller primaries for economy and larger secondaries when you want more power. Many of the Holleys are "square bore" - all the same size and are not as good for mileage.
This is also good advice from Doc

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
That is a popular choice.  I would get the 500 cfm model for a stock 318 if you want fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
If you're looking for decent fuel economy, make sure you get a "spread bore" pattern carb. Those use smaller primaries for economy and larger secondaries when you want more power. Many of the Holleys are "square bore" - all the same size and are not as good for mileage.
Ironically enough, holley is one of only aftermarket producers of spread bores. Well ebrock makes a replica qjet spread bore, but you get my point.

The common ebrock performer carb that everybody uses is a...square bore. ;D

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
No way! thought the Eddy's were spread...

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
No way! thought the Eddy's were spread...
That's why ebrock recommends using an adapter when mounting a performer carb to a performer intake, since the intake is spread bore designed with dual bolt patterns, but the carb is straight holley 4150 flanged.

Furthermore, the performer/afb/qjet/thermoquad are all mechanical secondary, contrary to popular belief, holley being one of only a few to make a vacuum secondary carb.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
That's why ebrock recommends using an adapter when mounting a performer carb to a performer intake, since the intake is spread bore designed with dual bolt patterns, but the carb is straight holley 4150 flanged.

Furthermore, the performer/afb/qjet/thermoquad are all mechanical secondary, contrary to popular belief, holley being one of only a few to make a vacuum secondary carb.
Mine is a mechanical secondary with an "air valve" I believe they call it. I had to use an adapter on mine with the stock cast 4bbl intake or else the linkage hit the intake and would not let the carb sit flush on the intake.

·
Registered
839 Posts
i prefer thermoquads on my stuff. im pretty sure that a thermoquad was stock in 1982. as for size there are really only 2 common sizes 800s and 850s (1000cfm being the other) either will work ok but the 800 is probably the better of the 2 for a 318. thermoquads are usually seen as more difficult to tune but that is only because they are different than everyone knows holleys. learn to tune a thermoquad and it is easy. i am by no means a carb expert and i rebuilt and tuned a thermoquad to work really good on my RC

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have a holley truck avenger carb on my....Chevelle...But when it was on my td I never had any problems with it but others here say they are only good off road carbs. I tuned mine to the point of 15 mpg the 2bbl on it right now gets 17 mpg and my trucks doin a lot of sitting so its not getting the holley any time soon.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
well i replaced my GM q jet with another one of the right vintage from Mountain Man Performance ...i just now got it all straightened out my EGR was toast ...but it runs great and love the Q jet and think i had 330 bones in the carb ...i just love the howl to much to give into holley or eddy ...i had a holly and it was a good carb over all and easy to tune but it what a pain in the arse ...u want ease of hook up and what the q jet will by my choice ...granted they are frustrating to tune do some research i did and was well worth it for the tuning and make sure u got all ur other stuff in good shape like the vac advance and ur EGR system and try and keep the stove pipe hooked up from the breather off the vavle cover does help with the hot starts ...mine kicks over first hit of the key now ...never did before so i am a happy camper ... ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts