Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda have a mystery question here.

This past week I noticed my truck running hotter than normal. Thought it may have to do with the warmer temperatures we've had, till yesterday when it overheated. Let the truck cool down and probably put about 2 to 2.5 gal of water into the radiator. Now I know that some of that coolant may have evaporated away when I opened the overfill tank to relieve some pressure/heat but not 2.5 gallons of it. Also, from my understanding isn't coolant supposed to help prevent the water/coolant mixture from evaporating.

I don't have any noticeable leaks on the truck, there's no puddles forming underneath the truck.

Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Run a compression test.

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
look at your oil and tell us what color it is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black...needs to be changed.

A friend of mine said that he has a pressure gauge so we're going do that when he finds it.

Another friend of mine also suggested that I find a leak test kit for coolant. Said that it's some sort of a dye that will glow or something. Any knowledge on this?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Well lets start with the basics, by putting in 2.5 gal of coolant (anti-freeze plus de-ionized water right?) you topped off your system.  That is all we know.  We don't know what the level was before the overheating issue. It could have been waaaay low and it finally had enough and went hot.

Nothing wrong with testing and pressure checks.  possibly hold off on the dye check, no sense spending money if you don't have to.

If you just put tap or hose water back into your system, go ahead and drain the whole bit and refill properly.  You can buy the premix 50/50 stuff or full concentrate and go to your local supermarket in the baby section.  There you will find de-mineralized water or sometimes labled as de-ionized.  Mix and refill.

Start truck  and look for leaks, let it warm up so the thermostat is open and circulating water

then go drive tying to replicate the conditions of the overheat.

If it happens again then we know you have a problem.  Don't let it overheat though, as soon as you noticed warmish temps pull over and let it cool down.  Make sure you take some premix coolant with just in case.

BTW anti-freeze does not help with evaporation it helps with corrosion and lubing up seals etc.  Depending on how it is mixed it may lower the boiling temp of the mixture but that does not matter since the system is pressurized to overcome that.

Cheers

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts