Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent new owner of a 86 Ramcharger 360,
Vehicle has leaks everywhere. Everywhere its supposed to hold fluid, it dont. No biggie, couple of diff seals, tranny gasket, transfer output seals, valve cover gaskets, timing cover seal, etc.
My big question after looking under the thing is this.........what the heck is with all the vaccum controled stuff and where do I start to get rid of it ?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
The vacuum stuff is to engage/disengage your 4WD. That's the CAD system (Central Axle Disconnect).
You can get rid of it & go with a set of lockout hubs....Warn, Superwinch, Milemarker, etc make hubs for them, they run anywhere from $70(or so) on up.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
being a fuel injected motor, it probably has a few more vac lines than normal. also, if it still has all the emissions stuff, thats a few there too. and like cooter said, there are some for the CAD. if u unhook these lines, u need to permanently lock the CAD and add some lockout hubs.

Duane

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
And the next question since your in D.C. whare are you having your state inspections done? D.C., Viringia or Maryland? That maybe whether or not its all required for emissions (which I know is the case for a 86 not sure for an 89) .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa, I cant believe that the number in my member name is causing this much confusion,
Was hoping for an 89, registered to the site and started looking around, wanted a RC that was fuel injected with a 360, ended up with a 86 RC Carbed 360 for a good price.

Now, as far as the rest of the questions, I am in Washington DC, DC VA and MD do the sniffer but I dont care because I am in the military and the vehicle is registered in OH in a county with no emissions test.

Would ya like to know my height hair and eye color........let me look for my green card, and ensure my taxes are paid before I post another question......... ;D
Let me go see about changing my member name..............

Cooter.........thanks for the input, is there a way to lock the little vaccum activation lever over leave the front end in lock 4WD all the time and just shift the transfer when I want to put the power to the front ? Or would that cause to much rolling resistance for daily driving ?
Also as a side bar couldnt ya just hook one of those manual choke cables to the CAD and pull it when ya wanted to engage the front and get rid of the vaccum stuff as well ? Just thinking........

·
29,379 Posts
Calm down buddy.
Just needed to clear things up.
If it was an 89, it would be fuel injected, if it was an 86 it would be carbed, each would have its own vacuum routing.
It wasn't totally clear (at least to me) if you where talking about "vacuum stuff" under the hood, or to the t-case and axle.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
89 Ram Charger DC said:
Whoa, I cant believe that the number in my member name is causing this much confusion,
Was hoping for an 89, registered to the site and started looking around, wanted a RC that was fuel injected with a 360, ended up with a 86 RC Carbed 360 for a good price.

Now, as far as the rest of the questions, I am in Washington DC, DC VA and MD do the sniffer but I dont care because I am in the military and the vehicle is registered in OH in a county with no emissions test.

Would ya like to know my height hair and eye color........let me look for my green card, and ensure my taxes are paid before I post another question......... ;D
Let me go see about changing my member name..............

Cooter.........thanks for the input, is there a way to lock the little vaccum activation lever over leave the front end in lock 4WD all the time and just shift the transfer when I want to put the power to the front ? Or would that cause to much rolling resistance for daily driving ?
Also as a side bar couldnt ya just hook one of those manual choke cables to the CAD and pull it when ya wanted to engage the front and get rid of the vaccum stuff as well ? Just thinking........
it was not your member name that was causing the confusion, it is the fact that at the bottom of the screen it says you have a newly acquired 89 ramcharger, makes no mention of an 86, we were wondering if it was a possible typo, stranger things have happened.

now as far as locking the cad there are several ways to do it. the easiest being to install manual hubs, then open up the cad unit and slide over the collar and lock it in place.

here is a link that gives you an idea of how the CAD system works, also gives a brief instruction of how to lock the CAD on

http://www.4x4wire.com/dodge/tech/solid_axle_cad/

hope that helps ya

eric

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,
Called and my local parts guy has the locking hubs for like 65 bucks so whoever put that price out there was right on, now I just got to get the dang left axle apart to change the ujoint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.