Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the lower speedo cable on my truck. I had the shop take it apart today because I'm trying to get through state inspection and my speedo doesn't work. They said they were going to replace just the inner cable, but it's all frozen together. I took the cable to the dealership and they said the part number should be 4897554AA for that. This runs from my speed sensor to the trans. The dealership said they can order it monday, but it would ship out from the midwest and wouldn't get here till wednesday. I have two fast approaching deadlines as I think the original inspection runs out on the 29th. I've also got 15 day temp tags that are going to run out if I don't hurry up and finish registering this truck, so I need to get the cable and get it installed FAST!. Anyone know of a way to get this cable ASAP?

Thanks,
-Dan

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
l just use the junk 10 buck cable and it works fine / its cut to lenght and then you crimp the end on / it has always worked good for me

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I have the lower cable (from VSS to trans) off my '87 sitting on a shelf collecting dust. If you want it is it yours for shipping (USPS priority, 2-3 days).....PM me if interested.

It is off of a 1987 D150, slant 6 w/ 904 trans. I do not know if 904/727 cables interchange....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"junk 10 bulk cable"? What is this and where do I get it? Can I get a kit that has the 60" of cable, the sleeve, and the dodge ends for it? Do you need a special crimper, or do you just use a pair of pliers?

-Dan
quote author=BOGGER35 link=board=33;threadid=45053;start=0#529233 date=1098484567]
l just use the junk 10 buck cable and it works fine / its cut to lenght and then you crimp the end on / it has always worked good for me

·
7,995 Posts
This dealer may be closer to you? Looks like he has one in stock.
OAK RIDGE CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP INC
Address: 1005 OAK RIDGE TURNPIKE
OAK RIDGE TN
National Phone: 888-809-1246
Business Phone: 865-482-7670

Have you tried NAPA or have one made at a local Speedometer repair shop?
or
www.autoinstruments.com

NAPA 80" cable is as follows...
#: BK 6151663
Attributes: Speedometer Cable
Length: 80''
Additional Contents: Speedometer Cable
Type of Packaging: Boxed

ACCUCHECK SPEEDOMETER SVC
2419 DIXIE LN
FOREST HILL, MD
(410) 803-0420

BRIMROSE
5024 CAMPBELL BLVD # E
BALTIMORE, MD
(410) 931-7200

DAVIS INOTEK INSTRUMENTS LLC
4701 MOUNT HOPE DR # J
BALTIMORE, MD
(410) 243-4301

DENNIS INDUSTRIES CO
20032 WANEGARDEN CT
GERMANTOWN, MD
(301) 428-0471

PETTIT APPLIED TECHNOLOGIES
34 CESSNA CT
GAITHERSBURG, MD
(301) 926-3549

SAFETY CHECK SPEEDOMETERS
1232 OLD DORSEY RD
HARMANS, MD
(410) 787-7332

SMITH'S DETECTION
2202 LAKESIDE BLVD
EDGEWOOD, MD
(410) 510-9100

WILCOXON RESEARCH
21 FIRSTFIELD RD
GAITHERSBURG, MD
(301) 330-8811

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chump, you da man! I'll see if I can contact some of these folks tomorrow. Where the hell did you find these places anyway? As far as napa, I have seen lots of places that sell a "speedo" cable, but I think the 80" ones are the ones that go all the way from the speedo to the tranny, not the ones for cruise control from the VSS to the tranny. The one end looks right, but the other end is different.

·
7,995 Posts
Don't give up on NAPA..take yours down there and ask them to try to cross it over. Since you say you have cruise I would assume that you need one thats about 67/68" long with a metal nut on each end?

·
7,995 Posts
dant98 said:
Yes, that's exactly what I need. You're saying taking the cable to napa and see if they can find one that matches?
Yes, they have the specs in a "Buyer's Guide" in their catalogs. They do have a couple of hundred cables available and cables are not specific to any one vehicle manufacturer. Maybe this one would work?

Item#: BK 6151604
Price: $ 16.99
Attributes: Speedometer Cable - Lower
Length: 63''
Additional Contents: Speedometer Cable
Type of Packaging: Boxed

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I brought the cable to the nearest Napa yesterday. They guy behind the counter tried looking it up in the computer, and of course he found the 80" cable that we both found already for non-CC equiped models. I asked him if he could see if there was one that would fit from another vehicle and he told me they only stock a few and thier in sealed boxes...aka... piss off. I swear nobody wants to help you anymore. If it isn't in the computer, forget it.

I didn't get a chance to call the speedo shops listed yesterday. I assume they won't be open today (sunday). Maybe I could try monday, but at this point, I should have the part ordered from dodge on monday just to make sure.

Now the guy who runs the shop said worst case, he could sell me one off his truck, but he said only as a last resort (he has an '83 RC w/ cruise that he's going to sell/part out). I could offer to order the cable monday, have them install the one off his truck, and give him the new replacement when it comes wednesday or thursday.

I checked yesterday and my MD temp tags expire on Thursday the 28th. My 30 day inspection date is up on the 29th. After that, the truck needs to be re-inspected, but it would also need to be towed (legally) because it wouldn't be tagged. MD won't issue temp tags for the same vehicle to the same owner twice. What a scam. So basically, I need to get the speedo cable replaced and finish the inspection by thursday so I can take the inspection form to the DMV on friday next week.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They're going to pull the cable off the shop owners '83. I hope the cables didn't change between years. If it wasn't for work, I'd have taken the old cable to a speed shop. The closest is like 20 minutes away and I can't really take off work for an hour to go "maybe" get a cable LOL!

-Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.