Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This issue has happened twice in the last two weeks and I have never noticed before so it has me concerned. The truck is sitting for a couple of hours, come out to start it up, pump the gas, turn it over, nothing. Try again and nothing but this time smoke billows out of the engine area. Pop the hood and the smoke is from the carb. Pull the air cleaner off and nothing to see with the eye. Put it back and she starts up with out issue. What could it be. 4bbl Carter carb.
Thanks BB

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
This is on your 84 with over 200K miles I suspect? Several things could be causing it, from timing off to PVC system needing a hose or two or the PVC is bad all together. This could even be combined with worn rings, valve guides and valve guide seals.

When she does start, how does she run? Smooth or rough? What color is the smoke, I suspect blue. If white, check the brake fluid and the power brake booster for a ruptured diaphram. And do you get any smoke from the tail pipe when running? When have you done a compression test or leak down, if never, I suggest to have it done and compare what the readings are to the manual for that size engine. Ball park anything over 100 psi with less then 10% difference per cylinder is desirable.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When she is running she runs smooth. No smoke that I can see from the tailpipe. The smoke from the carb is white. Smells like fuel, could be extra? Maybe the PVC valve is bad? I need to do timing but did a compression about 2 years ago. I can do that where I am, I have my tester with me. Thanks BB

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
The smoke from the carb could just be fuel vapors (usually from the pump shot hitting a warm intake--but on cold start???), or could be from a mild backfire through the carb (timing issue).

I would start by checking what your initial timing is set at. Have you done anything to the dist lately?

Compression test never hurts either.

-SM

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
it's also possible that you may have a small coolant leak inthe intake, and once you do get it running, the heat seals it.

Check your coolant level and see if it is dropping.

I had a friend who had the same symptoms on a nissan, and he ignored them until he filled a cylinder with anti-freeze when the leak finally got too big.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the coolant level and it is good. I checked to see if any milky substance in the oil on the dip stick, nothing. I did the intake seal about a month ago for the fourth time and drove to SC. Got here and no oil leaks from the front or back like before. I made sure that I RTVed the water jackets real good and like I said no "water" in the oil. Could be timing, has not done it to me since my first posting on it. I will keep an eye and let you guys know. Thanks again BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.