Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i'm looking for a replacement height/load sensing proportioning valve for 82-86 Chevrolet C/K30 or M1008 trucks.
Couldn't manage to find one (summit,rockauto,napa,ebay noone carries them).

Does anyone know a place where i can find one?
I wouldn't want to remove it permanently or replace it by a manual prop valve.

Thank you!

Alex

·
Registered
904 Posts
Dealer junkyard or maybe youi will luck out and find an NOS one on FeeBay.  I've bypassed one or 2 of those over the years; and they stopped just fine; your "proportioning valve" is on the front-most frame rail crossmember  on C/K series GM trucks, to control front-rear brake bias

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically the front combo-valve contains the prop-valve that handles front/rear brake bias.
But and here's the problem:

My trucks rear brakes lock up too early when it's empty, when it's loaded they stop just fine.
That's why i want a brake setup like that... a manually adjustable prop valve is just too user-unfriendly.

Unfortunately fleebay has none at the moment :(
And junk yards over here don't carry that stuff.

Alex

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Hybrid 1ton said:
Does it have to come from 82-86 Chevy trucks? I know there are many applications for the LPSV.
X2? I've got one here on my old "W50" (Dodge Power-Ram 50) that worked when the truck was parked. If a non-chevy valve will work i'd yank it off the truck for him.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Even the non-chevy ones aren't easy to find. I know ford supposedly used them on late 80 early 90 trucks. Should provide the same results. Everything I've seen online so far though says that they need to be sourced from a dealership or from a junkyard.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Alternatively you could use an adjustable proportioning valve that's slightly more user friendly like this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-260-8420/

It may take a little experimentation to find the right settings for your truck but the click style could make it a bit easier to adjust when needed rather than a knob that is sort of hard to tell how much you have changed the proportioning without testing.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

Toyota, Mercedes (G) and Mitsubishi use them. I believe Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet use them today too.

But i need one that's suitable for the trucks brake lines so it's got to be a domestic make.
I'd rather go for Dodge than Chevy or Ford but the Chevy valve was my first hint...

Does anyone have a part number for any of those parts?
I'd take a good used one from a junker too...

@El:
I have a manually adjustable prop valve at hand but i do not want to use it.
These manual prop valves have to be hidden from TUV as they are not street legal over here.

The lspvs are though  ::)

Thanks you!

Alex

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I don't think they are really legal here either even though most people wouldn't know what one was even if they were looking at it. ;D

As far as the load sensing valve, the issue you are going to have is they were only used for a short time on fullsize trucks right before rear antilock became standard. So a few years in the late '80s is about it. Go to www.napaonline.com and click the "Shop Online" button, then it will ask if you want parts for a particular vehicle. Click "Yes" and then enter in 1987 Ford F350 as the truck and search "brake valve". It may take a few pages but you should find quite a few Altrom brand proportioning valves that have levers on them that should be what you are looking for. Hold on to your seat because they are not cheap.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi El,

i'm afraid i couldn't find any parts like that on napaonline.
The Altrom website didn't show anything like that either.

But i found a part on ebay (been looking for "brake valve"):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120604438800

A 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 (that's a 3/4ton, isn't it?) overload/load valve. Complete with
leverage and part of the lines.

And this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390151827941

Looking somewhat similar but fairly incomplete...

I hope the guy with the dodge valve ships worldwide although he states different... otherwise
i'd like to ask somebody to help me with that :)

Alex

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I found the newer Dodge valves but since they work with the antilock brake controller, I didn't consider them since you wouldn't have the whole system.  I don't know how they would work by themselves.  Here are the NAPA part numbers to the Altrom valves I found earlier:

ATM 1H0612151C
ATM 191612151
ATM 1H0612151
ATM 331612151

You should be able to search those part numbers and find them that way.  I have no idea what they are off of.  Last night they came up under a search for an '87 F350, but today that didn't work, I had to search the whole catalog for them.  Maybe one of them would work for what you want.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you!

The valves look promising in case i cant manage to get the dodge valve.
It has the big advantage of a complete leverage and lines&fittings.

Could anyone help me purchasing the dodge valve if the seller doesn't ship to germany?

Thanks.
Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts