Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have to replace a ujoint, I've repacked my bearings before so I can get that far.. then I know you take the six nuts off the spindle and pull the spindle to have access to the outer shaft. my question is do you have to pull the diff cover and remove any "c-clips" before or do you just pull out the axle shaft?? I read the How-to's.... and it doesn't say anything about that.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
If it's the truck in his profile, it's a cad axle. Does the driver's side on a cad axle just slide out like on a non-cad axle?

·
29,380 Posts
cooper30 said:
If it's the truck in his profile, it's a cad axle. Does the driver's side on a cad axle just slide out like on a non-cad axle?
Yes, but when re-installing it, you usually have to remove the CAD cover and put your fingers in there to guide the two shafts together.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
KThaxton said:
cooper30 said:
Yes, but when re-installing it, you usually have to remove the CAD cover and put your fingers in there to guide the two shafts together.
I've never had to do that. I just wiggled it around until it slid in. :p

·
29,380 Posts
You must be lucky, or just better than me 8) (then again, I've changed my rear main seal about 5 times and they always slide right out..... you on the other hand...... ;D ;D)
I always try it without removing the cover, but I always fail. :mad: So off comes the cover.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
KThaxton said:
You must be lucky, or just better than me 8) (then again, I've changed my rear main seal about 5 times and they always slide right out..... you on the other hand...... ;D ;D)
I always try it without removing the cover, but I always fail. :mad: So off comes the cover.
lol had to bring that up that piece of garbage. Whats even sadder is when I finally got it out, I held it in the air and swore at it. :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the bad ujoint is on the short side, so i don't have to worry about the cad, even though when I put it in 4Low now it doesn't pull.... so I will have to pull that cover off anyways and just lock it manually since i got my new warn lockouts (I was going up a steep hill with all kinds of stumps and garbage and I might have messed up my cad some hows cause after that it didn't work. and the transfer case didn't blow up so what else could it be..... gheez, mo money mo problems

·
29,380 Posts
If its the short side....be very careful when re-inserting the axle and lube up the sealing surface of the shaft really good. If you damage that seal when you insert the shaft, you'll have to remove the shafts from both sides and remove your diff carrier to get to that seal. :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.