Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far down on the dipstick before you should add oil?

·
Registered
30,039 Posts
depends on which truck l,m driving / if its a good one l add oil even if it needs a little bit / it its one of the junk ones l wont add oil it it starts making bad sounds / so is yer truck a good one

G

·
There is a hash mark with a line on either end of it. If the oil comes up to the top line it is full. if the oil comes up only to the bottom line it is a quart low. any where inbetween and you should be ok. If there is no oil big trouble.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Usually every time I gas up (constant replenish system) unless the press gauge is lower than normal 60 psi I know its low

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I add my mobile undercarriage rust protection every 2 weeks, every 2 weeks it's 2 quarts low.
On my good motors they don't leak or burn oil so they only need oil when i change it, but they get checked every use

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Waaaaaaay back in the days of cardboard oil cans, most of us would wait until she needed a full quart then top it off. With the new (well I guess they are getting to be old hat now) plastic containers that are re-sealable, I will top off in 1/2 quart increments. On a long trip or a tow job then I put in whatever she needs to fill up to the full line.

Cheers

Chris

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I put in an extra quart more than it requires.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
Why...for windage loss? To foam the oil? ::)

If you want more oil capacity you should do it right...getter an expanded-sump/extra capacity oil pan.

-SM

·
Registered
810 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
I add my mobile undercarriage rust protection every 2 weeks, every 2 weeks it's 2 quarts low.
;D Good one, Evildriver!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Anytime I have the hood up I check the oil and if it needs it I add it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I add it when I think about checking it. Can't say I think about it every time. If it's low (below the mark) I add some.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I add it AFTER I put the drain plug back in and the new filter on

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
Evildriver-3 said:

If you want more oil capacity you should do it right...getter an expanded-sump/extra capacity oil pan.

-SM
Do you really think the crank is sitting in oil when it's running, have you ever checked to see how much you can over fill before foaming starts, 1qt is not even near being a problem, neither is 2 qts over.

Oil besides doing it's main job of lubricating and keeping everything suspended in oil rather than metal to metal contact also cools, so having more rather then less is a good thing.

My car's pan's are 12 qts, but i pour in 15*qts, the truck is 8 qts, but i put in 11**qts.

*12 for the pan, 2 for the filters, and 1 just because i care

**8 for the pan, 2 for the filters, and 1 just because i care

·
Registered
141 Posts
Avoid overfilling your mill. If it gets high enough the crank can whip the oil into a froth thus diminishing the lubricity of the oil

·
7,995 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
Slanted_Mind said:
Evildriver-3 said:

-SM
Do you really think the crank is sitting in oil when it's running, have you ever checked to see how much you can over fill before foaming starts, 1qt is not even near being a problem, neither is 2 qts over.

Oil besides doing it's main job of lubricating and keeping everything suspended in oil rather than metal to metal contact also cools, so having more rather then less is a good thing.

My car's pan's are 12 qts, but i pour in 15*qts, the truck is 8 qts, but i put in 11**qts.

*12 for the pan, 2 for the filters, and 1 just because i care

**8 for the pan, 2 for the filters, and 1 just because i care
Hee-hee-hee! Don't forget, at the age of 20, ED3 has seen and done everything including defying the laws of Physics, Electricity, Gravity, Parts and Hair Removal...just to name a few and he lived to tell us about it! He is to be commended for his tenacity and his perseverance in his quest to prove science wrong! I know that most of us could never undertake such a demanding task! Thank you for your contributions, the world owes you a debt of gratitude. 8)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Taking mine to the full mark seems to be a waste of time... When I change oil I go for a full 5plus quarts, but that sucker runs like crap 'til it burns off a quart or so... I've tried to keep it topped off but it just seems to run better at about a quart low

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
mowgli said:
Taking mine to the full mark seems to be a waste of time... When I change oil I go for a full 5plus quarts, but that sucker runs like crap 'til it burns off a quart or so... I've tried to keep it topped off but it just seems to run better at about a quart low
Sounds like you have the wrong dipstick or tube (or both).

-SM

·
Registered
108 Posts
As far as I know, they're original to the truck... however my Step-dad and Step-bro did pull and rebuild the motor about 75k or so ago- there's always 20 or so vehicles of various makes and model setting around the farm in various states of repair so it's not impossible...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dodges need oil?! :) Depends on which one I'm in but if the oil light comes on when you slow down... thats probably a good time :D heheh! Either then or a few days after you think about checkin it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts