Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the "How To" on doing wheel joints on a full time D44, it says the axel will pull out through the spindle. I went to do u-joints, ball joints, brakes, and wheel bearings the other day. To make a long fuck story short, all I ended up doing was the wheel bearings and brake rotor. On my truck, 1979 Power Wagon 1/2 ton, the axel will NOT fit through the hole in the spindle. I'm going to have to remove the spindle to get the axle. Any one ran into this, or got any tips?? Thanks!
-stew-

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you remove the caliper mounting bracket? The axle shaft wll not fit through the hole with the bracket in place.

Manny

·
Registered
162 Posts
If it still won't fit through the hole after you remove the caliper bracket, check to make sure there isn't a grease fitting in the end of one of the bearing caps on the universal joint. If there is, it'll have to come out before the axle can be pulled through the knuckle...... at least that is the case with my dana 44

G

·
It's a tight fit but it WILL go through the hole if you have removed everything that needs removed. I just did mine a couple months ago. I had to remove the grease zerks and then they fit. Its tight and I had to use a crowbar to help them along but they did come out. I also had to use a rubber mallet to persuade them back through the hole.

Chris

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caliper bracket? Mine is the ultra-rare modle with no front brakes....... Thank you guys!!! Know I now what I need to do.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-stew-
PS: I just went and checked the How To and it makes no mention of removing the caliper bracket. i fell less like a moron.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
its called a brake adapter in the Book. (FSM or Chiltons)

i coundt figure for the life of me what it wanted me to torque down to 85 foot per lbs. when i did Mudsharks 78 i had to take it off. another thing. the on the knuckle prevents that shaft from coming out. gave me a fit till i realized what was holding the axle an stub shaft in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.