Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So removing left and right hubs the driver side pulled off but the inner bearing was stuck on the spindle. The passenger side came off just fine.

had to beat the driver side inner bearing off and destroyed the spindle.

bought new Yukon spindles and all the bearings and seals etc.

the inner bearings will not slide over the spindle easily. I do not want to force them and have them stuck on there later. Is this normal for inner wheel bearings? the inner hub bearing that goes farthest in on the spindle?

· Registered
2,964 Posts
Should slide on. Maybe dress up the journal with some emery cloth.

Reactions: Kohnkewfd

· Registered
2,619 Posts
You're not gonna like this but I had the same problem with a aftermarket spindle. New timken bearings would not fit. I've had this problem twice, once on the 89/93 mutt with a dana 44 and once on the 93 with the 60. Both times had to spring for the dana spindle. Its a measurement deep in the thousandths so maybe can dress it to a smaller OD with 400 or 800 grit sandpaper. It sucks.

Reactions: Kohnkewfd

· Registered
538 Posts
Yours might be different than mine due to the year, but I had to pound the hell out of it to get it on and the spindle is original. I IM'd a few different people when I was working through this (I was brand new to the forum at that time and new to the front ends on these things), and everyone said the same thing.

One recommendation is to tap them on with a bearing tool and a hammer to get them on as far as they will go (seal would have to go on first I believe), then try to pound on the hub/spindle assembly. I was told by a few people to use a rubber mallet against the hub and then hit that with a sledgehammer to get it on far enough to turn the spindle nut to get it on all the way.

My concern was that it was so hard to turn the spindle nut to press on the spindle that I think I was hitting the torque spec just trying to press it on. I ended up probably going a little bit too tight and then backing off, and eventually got it right. It was a pain.

I took it down and spent $20 to have a shop press the rotor onto the spindle because I didn't want to pound on it.

Here is a thread that I started a few weeks after I got it when I finally got it running and out of the street into the driveway.

Here's a thread from RWG75, he was another one I talked to when working through this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts