Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im getting this sound from the rear like metal scraping and a little pinging from a dead stop up to like 30mph. it goes with rpms. someone mentioned it could be the wheel bearing being wasted, but i dont know much about them so i dont know. its not the u joints, i already replaced and greased those. pleeease help i wanna drive my baby!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
webbcraft2150 said:
Check your rear shoes first!!!
i agree check the rear brakes but it almost sounds like a bad bearing from what you described.... i had a similar sound out of my 68 dart i ended up loosing the bearing totally.... it came out in about 50 peices.... ok maybe 15 but still... :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
well if one of your bearings goes totally out the wheel will start to wobble and will try to make itself fall off. least thats what happen on my front axle, but it was easy to replaced the bearings, spent about 35 bucks and did both bearings on the drivers side

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks, tomorrow i'll give the shoes a look, and if its not those ill grab some berings and see if i can do it myself.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
I hear a very similar clicking from the front, but the mechanic told me that it's prolly the brakes. Does the clicking go away when you brake?

Interestingly enough, the bearings are good on mine, so... :-\

·
Registered
436 Posts
an easy way to check for bad wheel bearings is to swerve the truck back and forth while driving. what your doing is shifting the weight of the truck from one wheel to another, a bad wheel bearing should stop making noise (or atleast quiet down some) when the weight of the truck is off that tire, that is unless both sides have bad bearings. a brake check is definitly in order, but seeing how the noise is coming from the rear of the truck, a bad axle bearing or differential might be the cause too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts