Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I wanna say thanks to whoever posted that deal on the steering coupler rebuild, That helped me out a lot, took darn near all the play out of my wheel. The problem I am having now, is I can turn the wheel fine for a little bit, then suddenly it will get stuck, and I will have to grab it with both hands and pull real hard to get it going again. It's made for a few scary situations around town, when I can't complete my turn, and shoot into the wrong lane. It has never gotten totally stuck, but it always catches me by suprise. Could this be a problem with my power steering pump? My tie rod ends and the drag link are in good shape. I am referring to the 1980 RC in my sig. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Is your power steering belt tight?

Is the fluid level on the power steering pump correct?

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
I know this problem because I had this happen to me. Take the steering coupler apart and redo it again. When you put it back together you did something wrong. I think when I had done it I put the spring on wrong and it was putting too much pressure on the coupler. Once I rebuilt it right I didn't have the problem any more.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
wow, sounds like i need to do this. could someone IM me the steering coupler rebuild thing please? the search option here really pisses my computer off...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PS belt is tight and the fluid is good, no leaks either. I still have to replace the lower half of the steering shaft, I was unable to replace the pin in the end at the time, the previous owner tack welded it in. I am gonna try drilling it out though, maybe save some cash. That will eliminate all the play in my wheel. I will double check my rebuild job when I take it apart. Thanks for the info. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.