Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 87 4x4 R/C L.E. w/ a 318 and an auto, right on the driver's side of the tranny crossmember, there's like a big black plastic ball. My cheap-ass Haynes repair manual doesn't mention it, and what ever it is, it's right smack in the middle of where an exhaust pipe should run for my dual exhaust jobbie. I figure it must be some vacuum thing for the CAD.

I would run both pipes down the passenger side like the original, but I made my own X-pipe, and I would hafta add a lot of bends to run the drivers side pipe down and up and over to the passenger side.

If that is for the CAD, would one of the "Posi-lock" cable conversions be a good thing to have to remove it?

And also, where the gear selector rod comes ou of the top of the tranny just above the pan on the driver's side.....is leaking. Once again. Haynes is no help. Can that be fixed from above, or does the pan an valve body need to come out? There must be an O-ring or seal in there somewhere....

Thanks for any and all help!!

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
You guessed it right. Vacuum ball.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It will be tight to get it out from under the truck but yes you maybe able to pop out the seal and get a new one it-It will just be a pain in the butt. If it's not leaking that bad then I would worry about it when and if you ever have to pull the tranny-just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
You need to drop the pan and valve body to change that seal.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It leaks pretty bad....guess I may as well add a shift kit while I'm in there....and I'll be moving the vacuum ball, too...thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It leaks pretty bad....guess I may as well add a shift kit while I'm in there....and I'll be moving the vacuum ball, too...thanks for all the help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts