Dodge RamCharger Central banner

What's making the noise?

980 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bueller 
#1 ·
89 RC, Magnum engine, stock 727, stock 241.  When I start it up in the mornings, there's a very noticeable ticking noise.  Sounds like a lifter/valvetrain noise.  It's starts out very noticeable, then, after 20 secs, it quiets down.  You can still hear it, but not near as loud.  Fluids are at proper levels.    Took stethoscope, and seemed louder on passenger side rear of valve cover.  Removed valve cover, pulled rockers and pushrods out of last 2 cylinders.  Checked fulcrum, tips, pushrods and guides.  No signs of damage, there's plenty of oil, and no bent pushrods.  Bolts were tight.  Put it back together, sound never changed.  Payed close attention a few days ago, and noticed that sound goes away completely when you shift it into reverse.  Shifted P,N,D,1,2, noise is still there.  Shift it back into reverse, no noise at all.  Experimented, putting T-case into 4wd high, and low.  Noise still there.  Drove it in 4wd, hi, low, noise still there. 

I'm thinking its either the torque converter, or the transmission itself.  Does that make any sense to you guys?  I don't think its in the engine anymore, because if that's the case, it would do it in ALL gears.  I was told there is a one way clutch inside the torque converter that keeps you from slamming it reverse when you're rolling forward in drive.  Maybe that's jacked up, and not one way'ing anymore?

I thought I'd throw my little headache out there, before I start tearing $#!+ apart. 

Thanks, guys

Frank

See less See more
#2 ·
Most likely a tappet bleeding down while the engine is shut down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.